K100 wont start, need help on tips and tricks - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old Oct 8th, 2012, 2:15 am Thread Starter
Noob

K100 wont start, need help on tips and tricks

hello all,

my bike is '86 K100 and I have an issue about it, I hope you can help me with this.

The bike wont start and seem the battery don't have enough power to crank the starting dynamo, so I checked it by switch the headlight on and other lights its all OK it does not show the indications of battery power issue, so I pushed the ignition button again several times trying to start it but the bike just wont start, later I tried to drag the bike in 1st gear holding the clutch in and open the clutch immediately after gain enough speed to jump start, and now the engine is able to start.
Can you tell me what's this issue related to? is it battery? Relays? etc?
Thank you for your attention

Regard.
Agri
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old Oct 8th, 2012, 5:12 am
PsyKotic Waterfowl

Probably a bad clutch switch.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old Oct 8th, 2012, 11:22 pm

It's Probably The Battery

If, as you say, the battery barely cranks the engine or just groans, it is most likely your battery. Just because your lights come on doesn't mean the battery is strong enough to crank the engine.
Trying to push start any bike with an alternator is an iffy thing at best. It can be done but the battery must be in good enough condition to "spark" the alternator. You might get it running that way but if the battery has a bad cell or is weak it probably won't.
I've seen guys jump start a bike with a bad battery and it will run as long as the jumper cables are connected and/or the engine is revving high enough to charge but the minute the extra battery is disconnected the engine will die.
Get your battery checked by a professional or try jump starting it and see if it runs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old Oct 10th, 2012, 12:20 pm
Enthusiast

The description of your problem is a bit unclear

Agree with the battery advice - also trying to start a bike with a low battery can cause the relays to malfunction. I know as I've done this.

Another known problem with this vintage has been a dirty sprag clutch internally - this problem is manifested by the starter spinning, but as it isn't engaging the starter the bike won't turn over and start. This is solved by a different approach - dial back in if this is actually the symptom.

"What follows is based on actual occurrences. Although much has been changed for rhetorical purposes, it must be regarded in its essence as fact. However, it should in no way be associated with that great body of factual information relating to orthodox Zen Buddhist practice. It's not very factual on motorcycles, either."

Robert Persig - Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance

1985 K100RS (Sold)
2000 323i (Sold)
2003 1150GS (Sold)
2009 528Xi
2004 K1200GT

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode