Brand New Used 87 K100LT - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old Dec 5th, 2012, 10:41 pm Thread Starter
Noob

Brand New Used 87 K100LT

Hey guys I'm located out here in sunny AZ and at the age of 35 decided I want to start riding. After a couple safety courses and license I bought an 87 K100LT. The bike is in good shape I think with only 39,000 miles. I drove it up to BMW in Tucson and had them do a safety check and found out right away the Steering Head bearings where shot. (Hmm and I thought it was I just could'nt turn ). I replaced the front tire and off I am. It seems to ride nice, but there is a raw fuel smell when I deaccelerate Any guesses on what this is? Also if there is any kind of advise anyone can give me about riding or the Bike please let me know.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old Dec 5th, 2012, 11:07 pm
Enthusiast

www.Ibmwr.org has tech articles concerning all BMW Bikes
http://www.k100-forum.com/ ---- All BMW Bricks. There is also a troubleshooting manual/

2007 Bmw k1200GT (My Vroom Bike)
1995 BMW k1100lt (Sold) (My mini-bus)
1998 BMW k1200rs Taxi (Sold) (Didn't get to say goodbye)
1986 BMW k100rt (My classic and first, Restore in Progress)
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old Dec 16th, 2012, 11:36 am
Rookie

Also try the best flying brick site around:

http://www.motobrick.com/

2008 FLHT
2008 R1200RT
1985 K100 RT
1979 XS 650 Street tracker
Ridden everything,owned lots
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old Dec 25th, 2012, 7:12 pm
Enthusiast

So my random thoughts -

There is no known problem that would cause you to smell gasoline on decel, so I'm betting you need to check all fuel lines - age not miles is likely the problem.

How through an inspection was done by the shop? Did they replace all fluids, check the inside of the tank and so forth?

The old K bike are easy to work on, just carve out the time and enjoy the journey - you'll probably do better work on your bike than the shop anyhow.

I'd buy the Clymer manual and go to work - two lines out of the tank, check thee closely at a minimum check the end of line connections - I'd just go ahead and start the refurb.

The links the others have provided will give you a road map for this.

"What follows is based on actual occurrences. Although much has been changed for rhetorical purposes, it must be regarded in its essence as fact. However, it should in no way be associated with that great body of factual information relating to orthodox Zen Buddhist practice. It's not very factual on motorcycles, either."

Robert Persig - Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance

1985 K100RS (Sold)
2000 323i (Sold)
2003 1150GS (Sold)
2009 528Xi
2004 K1200GT

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode