K75 Gear digital indiacator - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old Dec 21st, 2012, 12:12 pm Thread Starter
Noob

K75 Gear digital indiacator

Hi All,
Thanks for the info with the heated Grips...damaged wiring, fixed and up and running. Noticed today while riding that sometimes the digital gear reading is incorrect showing 3rd gear when you are in first gear , then its settles its self, when riding in top gear it does not show 5th while you are riding along. Is there a fix for this?? Have to say though what an enjoyable ride ...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old Dec 21st, 2012, 1:19 pm
Veteran

Trying to remember, been a while. Does that one have a multipin connector like the later Ks? If so I'd look at that first, may be some corrosion in there. Older bike, you should pull all the connectors that you can see and clean/lube them. Doesn't take much corrosion or moisture to cause annoying gremlins. You are Irish....any road salt that way? I'd show you some green connectors on my much later bike.

Sorry....must be the Whisky, trying to compare Jameson to Powers yesterday.

BMW does have a service bulletin that recommends cleaning and lubing all the connectors once a year. Old bulletin, applies to all bikes and still valid.

Benelli 50cc at 14
Yamaha RD 200 at 16
Yamaha RD 350 at 17
Honda CB 750 F at 18
Honda V45 Sabre at 24
BMW K100RS at 27
BMW R100GS at 34
BMW K1200RS at 53
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old Dec 21st, 2012, 5:23 pm
Enthusiast

Or -

Just replace the gear indicator switch. It's been a while since I did this on my '85, but the symptoms were if it rained....the readings went to gibbrish.

The procedure in in the Clymer manual - but I recall that you need to remove the swingarm and I also recall that there were a couple of different designs over the years. Make sure you get the right model for your year bike.

"What follows is based on actual occurrences. Although much has been changed for rhetorical purposes, it must be regarded in its essence as fact. However, it should in no way be associated with that great body of factual information relating to orthodox Zen Buddhist practice. It's not very factual on motorcycles, either."

Robert Persig - Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance

1985 K100RS (Sold)
2000 323i (Sold)
2003 1150GS (Sold)
2009 528Xi
2004 K1200GT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old Dec 22nd, 2012, 7:50 am
PsyKotic Waterfowl

post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old Dec 26th, 2012, 7:42 am Thread Starter
Noob

Cheers for the info..great help
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old Dec 26th, 2012, 7:43 am Thread Starter
Noob

Quote:
Originally Posted by H96669
Trying to remember, been a while. Does that one have a multipin connector like the later Ks? If so I'd look at that first, may be some corrosion in there. Older bike, you should pull all the connectors that you can see and clean/lube them. Doesn't take much corrosion or moisture to cause annoying gremlins. You are Irish....any road salt that way? I'd show you some green connectors on my much later bike.

Sorry....must be the Whisky, trying to compare Jameson to Powers yesterday.

BMW does have a service bulletin that recommends cleaning and lubing all the connectors once a year. Old bulletin, applies to all bikes and still valid.

Cheers great help

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode