Another K75 no start - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old Dec 26th, 2012, 10:22 am Thread Starter
Noob

Another K75 no start

Howdy all,

Have a 1988 K7s, around 50k miles. Have had ZERO trouble with it until about three weeks ago, started acting funny, like it was running out gas or something. It would start, then run a little rough or idle really low, then it would die, if you didn;t stay on the gas. Now it won't fire up at all.

Checked the battery, was just replaced in August, Has full charge, and test shows has good charge when bike is being started. Looked at plugs, they have some carbon fowling, but look good otherwise. Plugs also showing they are getting gas. Fuel pump runs, as does the starter. I did the starter test, tapping brakes to see if dash lights dim while starting, nothing noticable there. Checked the fuses in the fuse box, they're good. I did replace the crankcase breather hose, since it was badly in need of it, and was partly responsible for the rough running condition and fowling I am guessing.

I even put the bike in gear and rocked it backed and forth, after which it sounded like it wanted to fire.

I have pulled the ignition coils off, with the idea of taking them to the dealer for testing, thinking it may be something there that needs replacement. I plan to clean up the main ground as well. Other than that, I am at a loss. If not the coils, next step is to take it in to the shop, hoping not too, since it might be expensive.

It's been a great bike to this point, and hoping that I can experience the bullitproof reliability that I've heard so much about.

Any help appreciated,

Thank you,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old Dec 26th, 2012, 11:04 am

Check the Tech articles for K bikes at ibmwr.org. There are many things that can cause your problems and the articles can give you a bunch of things to check. Cold running/starting problems.

I had a similar problem with my K100 years ago and it turned out to be a bad temp sensor. It would actually spit fuel out the exhaust. Clean the spark plugs and try it.

Frank

'17 R1200RS, 2 yrs. 27,000 mi.
'16 R1200RS, 18 mo. 28,000 mi. (gone)
'03 R1100S Boxer Cup Replika 6/200
'85 K100/1100RS, 34 yrs. 326,000 mi.
'05 R1200ST, 8 yrs. 57,400 mi.-3rd deer killed it.
'11 R1200RT, 2 yrs. 30,000 mi. (gone)
'99 R1100S, 2 yrs. 15,000 mi. (gone)
'96 Ducati 900SS/SP, 12 yrs. (gone)
500,000+ BMW miles
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old Dec 27th, 2012, 8:22 am
PsyKotic Waterfowl

A common cause of those symptoms is a failing connector for the fuel lever sender causing intermittent power to the fuel pump.

Suspect #2: Ignition switch.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old Dec 27th, 2012, 12:33 pm

Fuel filter?
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old Dec 30th, 2012, 11:33 am Thread Starter
Noob

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingDuck
A common cause of those symptoms is a failing connector for the fuel lever sender causing intermittent power to the fuel pump.

Suspect #2: Ignition switch.

FlyingDuck, my fuel light does stay lit no matter how much fuel is in the tank. Would that have something to do with fuel level sender unit?

I am also planning to look at the ignition switch, since it has seemed to stick before.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old Dec 30th, 2012, 4:46 pm
PsyKotic Waterfowl

If the fuel light is always on then your ping pong ball (fuel level float) has probably leaked and filled with gas.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old Jun 8th, 2013, 4:09 pm Thread Starter
Noob

Bike still isn't running. Have been working through the bmw tech troubleshooting pages. Recently took the starter apart and cleaned it, and reinstalled it. Disconnected several of the leads under the tank, and cleaned and reassembled them. Before I cleaned the starter and reinstalled it, the bike would at least turn over and instrumentation lights would work. Now all I get is the headlight and tail light and clock on. You can hear what I assume is the starter relay switching on, but no fuel pump, instrument lights, no starter no turnover. Could the starter have been reassembled wrong?

I thank everyone who has offered help through out this, very frustrating.

Last edited by MayBMW; Jun 8th, 2013 at 5:47 pm.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old May 1st, 2014, 11:04 am
Rookie

if the pump doesn't go on pushing start button, than check your connection at the tank and ignition relay. I had similar issue after fuel pump and filter inspection, just ended up replacing Fuel pressure regulator

Panhandling on Brooklyn Bridge for a spare clutch plate.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode