1987 K100RT clutch out of balance? - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old Jan 27th, 2013, 5:42 pm Thread Starter
Rookie

1987 K100RT clutch out of balance?

Hi all.

I've just completed an absorber gear / rear main seal / clutch plate replacement (a saga spanning a year) and started the bike OK (!) but there's a tapping sound coming from the front-right of the bell housing, about half way down. The bike is also vibrating more than I remember while on its centre stand.

I'm thinking it's the clutch out of balance. Before I pull the bike apart again can anyone confirm that that would be the case, or alternatively does anyone know of another cause for such a noise?

I did originally mark the clutch parts before taking them off, but the marks were lost in the clean-up and put together phase (I admit it, I forgot to keep them intact). I've just read an ingenious idea for balancing it, which I think I'll use. Any comments for or against?

Regards,
Richard (from sunny Canberra, Australia)
1987 K100RT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old Jan 27th, 2013, 11:20 pm
Veteran

I'd say yes it is out of balance. Are you positive that the OEM marks are gone also? They may still be there even faintly. A few years back someone had the same problem and I sent him back in and he did find them and that fixed his vibrations.

Had to rescue someone else before but luckily for him he hadn't cleaned anything. Managed it matching the corrosion marks between the mating surfaces. That took a while.

Someone somewhere else, and he is a machinist,is going to try mounting the clutch on a wheel balancer.K1200RS but same clutch design. May happen shortly I already expressed interest in his jig, lots of clutch packs on fleabay for my bike but no way to tell if they were marked when removed.

Back then, when paint markers and such were not common or even existed, we used punch marks, I still do.

And....note that the tennis ball guy never reported back as to if his balancing method was succesfull....or not!

Benelli 50cc at 14
Yamaha RD 200 at 16
Yamaha RD 350 at 17
Honda CB 750 F at 18
Honda V45 Sabre at 24
BMW K100RS at 27
BMW R100GS at 34
BMW K1200RS at 53
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old Jan 28th, 2013, 6:00 am Thread Starter
Rookie

I thought I could discern a yellow dot on the housing and white paint marks on each of the compression plates (in completely different places) and thought I had set them all 120 degrees apart.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old Jan 28th, 2013, 10:52 am
Veteran

The housing yes, should have a quite large(r) dot.If like my K it is creamy yellowish and that paint would be hard to remove.

I know the paint marks can easily disappear from the cast iron plates. That's why I am kind of looking into that, wouldn't mind buying a spare clutch pack for my K1200RS, I may need one of them at around 100,000 miles.

There stole a pic somewhere, I think I can mount that in my "Marc Parnes" wheel balancer leaving the spring/friction disk behind and then try a few combinations.I'l let someone else do it first and keep it in mind for myself.

Also, the absorber gear, never been into one of them but I know that there are different shims, from 1.6mm to 2.05. I know that the rocky sounds of the later Ks may come from there and that some have quietened them down re-working the shimming.I guess you know by now how much work it is to get at them parts.

Benelli 50cc at 14
Yamaha RD 200 at 16
Yamaha RD 350 at 17
Honda CB 750 F at 18
Honda V45 Sabre at 24
BMW K100RS at 27
BMW R100GS at 34
BMW K1200RS at 53

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode