85K100RS air box removal - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old Feb 8th, 2013, 9:48 pm Thread Starter

85K100RS air box removal

Here is an account of the air box removal on my 85 K100RS to access the fuel pump regulator. I have permanently stripped the plastic to ease maintenance. For this job, I have removed the fuel tank, the seat and the EFI.

Step 1: Remove the airbox snorkel. Remove the two bolts and pull the snorkel out of the box. It is a press fit.

Step 2: Remove the air filter. This is sandwiched between the top and bottom halves of the airbox.

The filter looks like this.

Three clips hold it, two rear and one front.

Here is a shot with the filter removed.

Step 3: Detach the outlet elbow.

There are two clamps. You can use a flat head screwdriver or a 7mm socket. Loosen the rear clamp. Pull the hose off. This will require some force.

Step 4: Remove the air flow sensor. This is screwed to the top half of the air box.

Here are the two screws on the top.

You can now detach the sensor from the air outlet elbow. Careful, the plug and harness is still attached. Turn the sensor over to access the plug.

There is a metal clip holding the plug. Remove it and the plug will pull off.

Step 6 : Separate the plug/harness from the top half of the case. Do this by pushing the grommet the harness runs through out from the inside of the case. The result is this.

Step 7: Remove the bottom half. There are two allen bolts holding it.

Pull the lower half out and you see this.

And there is the fuel pressure regulator.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old Feb 9th, 2013, 10:48 am
Veteran

I see....Sugar Maple seeds on the bottom of that airbox. Not many so doesn't look like the critters did it.

If you can screen the air intake to keep the debris/bugs out. Sure keeps them expensive filters cleaner longer. I have a different later setup but no more bugs slowly drying out and disintegrating on my filter.

Benelli 50cc at 14
Yamaha RD 200 at 16
Yamaha RD 350 at 17
Honda CB 750 F at 18
Honda V45 Sabre at 24
BMW K100RS at 27
BMW R100GS at 34
BMW K1200RS at 53
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old Feb 9th, 2013, 9:13 pm

It's enough to remove the rear end of the snorkel, air filter and bottom half of the air filter housing.....to get acces to the FPR.....a lot less work.

Inge K.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old Feb 11th, 2013, 12:49 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by IngeK
It's enough to remove the rear end of the snorkel, air filter and bottom half of the air filter housing.....to get access to the FPR.....a lot less work.

Inge K.
Perhaps. This my first time accessing the FPR. It may be fine to do it your way after you figure out the FPR and what surrounds it. It is a whole different matter when you go in blind the first time. Removing the top half is ten minutes work and it makes access and lighting easier. We will see how easy it is to remove the hoses from the FPR. I have no idea how they attach. I may need both hands.

I may find out that you are right. But I have learned the hard way not to go pulling on stuff I cant see when I dont fully understand what is in there.

Besides I also need access to the throttle body with the idle adjust. The lever is sticking. The more room and light I have there the easier for me to figure out that problem is without pulling the the FIs and the TBs to access the lever from the front..
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old Feb 11th, 2013, 3:05 pm
PsyKotic Waterfowl

Thery're Oetiker clamps. Cut them off and replace them with 13mm fuel line hose clamps from BMW.

I don't think you need to remove them though if your'e just replacing the vacuum line.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode