multiple questions...powder coating, fuel lines, etc. - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old Feb 25th, 2013, 9:45 pm Thread Starter

Thumbs down multiple questions...powder coating, fuel lines, etc.

Looking to powder coat my rims. Rear rim is a no brainer...for the front rim I know I have to remove the bearings. I am going to take them to the local dealership to remove and press in new ones. OEM is too much, I have seen cross references but both bearings are not listed, anyone have part numbers or suggestions on part numbers? Also, i'm going to have to remove the front discs...do these need balanced after removal? Is it ok, to just mark the mounting holes?

Does anyone know a good source for aftermarket non chinese bearings?

Second question...looking at my fuel lines one is pretty crusty. It is the fuel line that is forward most onthe tank, Ě traced it back to behind the radiator..does this go to the fpr? Is it 3/16 or 1/4 inch id?

Lastly, going to remove the center stand for e-coat and powder, any suggestions on temporary support?

1995 K75 Standard

Last edited by Pompadour; Feb 25th, 2013 at 10:39 pm.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old Feb 25th, 2013, 11:56 pm
PsyKotic Waterfowl

Yes, it goes to the FPR.

Factory line is 8mm. 5/16" is 7.9mm and works fine. Make sure you get line rated for FI systems.

Center stand: Remove battery and put a sawhorse through the frame.

post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old Feb 26th, 2013, 8:38 am
PsyKotic Waterfowl

Or use a MC lift or some other manner to keep the bike upright while the center stand is removed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old Feb 26th, 2013, 8:55 am Thread Starter

Thanks Duck,

The saw horse idea was just what I was looking for! Thanks forth id on the hose too.

Anyone have any advice on the bearing issue?

Looking to powder coat my rims. Rear rim is a no brainer...for the front rim I know I have to remove the bearings. I am going to take them to the local dealership to remove and press in new ones. OEM is too much, I have seen cross references but both bearings are not listed, anyone have part numbers or suggestions on part numbers? Also, i'm going to have to remove the front discs...do these need balanced after removal? Is it ok, to just mark the mounting holes?

Does anyone know a good source for aftermarket non chinese bearings?

1995 K75 Standard
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old Feb 26th, 2013, 9:59 am
Veteran

You should look up the specs for the powders used. They certainly aren't all the same. My friend has a pretty nice setup for powdercoating but all he had was regular gloss black powder. I dug up a little and ordered "extra durable wet black" for bush bars etc...!Way better resistance to salt sprays etc in the specs.

If you are looking for an almost near match for the BMW silver, that would be Powder365 Silverado Silver with the satin clear.

Check their website, unlike many others they do give specs and may even have a locator for an applicator in your area.

http://powder365.com/store/index.php...5cd7cb9bad6e3e

Don't know if your wheels are powdercoated from BMW, all the later ones certainly are. If the case with yours may be easier to leave the OEM powdercoat on there and sand the nicks and then refresh with a fresh coat of silver and clear. I have some bits of BMW silver powdercoat I/we will be experimenting with in the next couple weeks.

The bearings, I am still debating buying the proper tools, they aren't cheap, check the MotionPro website they have them. Finding bearings aftermarket??? Take the numbers off the bearings and go to a bearing store they'll tell you. Don't be surprised if they are cheaper from BMW, all in the supply/demand bearing prices and BMW buys lots of them. BTW one of the OEMs on my front wheel is from Taiwan.

Benelli 50cc at 14
Yamaha RD 200 at 16
Yamaha RD 350 at 17
Honda CB 750 F at 18
Honda V45 Sabre at 24
BMW K100RS at 27
BMW R100GS at 34
BMW K1200RS at 53
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old Feb 26th, 2013, 10:55 am Thread Starter

Thanks for the response.

I'm onto the bearings now, I have found a few sources but am still looking for the puller. Harbor Freight has one but I cannot justify the 70 for a one time job. Still looking to find a place that loans the correct one

The wheels will be PPG dull gloss black as is the rest of the bike(headlight, brackets, foot pegs, etc). the wheels will be chemically stripped, e-coated, and then powdered; with the e-coating I have no worries about the adhesion! It also helps that I am in the industry and have all the best minds behind me

I believe the chemicals will remove the existing coating and I will have no need to blast them. And you are correct, not all powders are the same!

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B_eC...it?usp=sharing

Coated these rims last year and they show no wear at all....even after a tire change, winter, etc

Black Texture

1995 K75 Standard
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old Feb 26th, 2013, 12:04 pm
PsyKotic Waterfowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by H96669
Don't be surprised if they are cheaper from BMW, all in the supply/demand bearing prices and BMW buys lots of them.
And then BMW marks them up massively.

For example, I need some steering head bearings. $50 each from BMW. I found a pair of them for $30:

http://www.oemcycle.com/Item/product/900108861
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old Feb 26th, 2013, 12:33 pm
Enthusiast

Yep, dont discount main dealers, I wanted the large Final Drive/Rear wheel bearing for my R1100S a few years back, I checked around and BMW were considerably cheaper than anywhere else, I know it isnt allways the case but its still worth checking.

Tim
------------------

2011 K1300GT
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old Feb 26th, 2013, 1:19 pm
Veteran

If you want to split some costs on a proper bearing remover, I'd be interested in buying it back from you once you are done.No BS on that, if I can get it for less than $50.00 I am buying.

Cheap there and you guys can get free shipping.I know you can buy the single 25mm somewhere and the "bar" can be improvised easy enough but in my case I'd need the full set.

http://www.amazon.com/Motion-Pro-08-.../dp/B000GZPDLA

Got a pot big enough to drop that wheel in hot water? And then some freeze to shrink the bearing? Bubble gum remover is cheap and comes out plenty cold enough to do that.

Benelli 50cc at 14
Yamaha RD 200 at 16
Yamaha RD 350 at 17
Honda CB 750 F at 18
Honda V45 Sabre at 24
BMW K100RS at 27
BMW R100GS at 34
BMW K1200RS at 53
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old Feb 26th, 2013, 1:41 pm Thread Starter

Thanks everyone, my local dealer ended up giving me a 20% discount so it didn't hurt too bad. I was also told that a $20 bill / 6 pack on a good day may get the tires and bearings mounted /demounted after powder coat. I will see soon. If not I will go in on the tool purchase.

I have industrial ovens at my disposal, some are as large as two stories tall and 400 yards long....so I think I can get them up to temp. I plan on freezing the bearings for a day prior. Hopefully I will get somewhere on the coating in the next week.

Have to formulate a plan to support the bike without wheels or center stand.

Last question, are the front discs mounting holes specific, do they need to be balanced afterward? Or is it a simple R & R, keeping the left on the left, right on the right, etc?

1995 K75 Standard

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode