k75 starting but revving high! :( - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old May 16th, 2013, 6:14 pm Thread Starter
Noob

k75 starting but revving high! :(

hi everyone, this is my first post here on the site.

Ive been working on a 1994 k75 for a while and have finally got round to replacing the battery and taking it outside to start

i dont have the rear exhaust on at this point

I put some new fuel in the tank, it pressurised and wow started almost straight away!

However the revs built up extrememly quickly (immediatly) and so i was having to shut it off - the bike hasnt been started in over 12 months

my friend and i have been reading the manual trying to eliminate ideas however we have had no luck and are stuck

we believe it to be electrical as the throttle bodies and choke appear to be moving freely

Any suggestion would be greatly appreciated

Andy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old May 18th, 2013, 3:35 pm
Enthusiast

Check the easy stuff first

Throttle and cable? 'Choke?'

"What follows is based on actual occurrences. Although much has been changed for rhetorical purposes, it must be regarded in its essence as fact. However, it should in no way be associated with that great body of factual information relating to orthodox Zen Buddhist practice. It's not very factual on motorcycles, either."

Robert Persig - Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance

1985 K100RS (Sold)
2000 323i (Sold)
2003 1150GS (Sold)
2009 528Xi
2004 K1200GT
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old May 22nd, 2013, 4:54 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beemer01
Throttle and cable? 'Choke?'

Yes, "Choke" seems to be the official BMW term.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old May 22nd, 2013, 7:32 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyk2013
hi everyone, this is my first post here on the site.

Ive been working on a 1994 k75 for a while and have finally got round to replacing the battery and taking it outside to start

i dont have the rear exhaust on at this poin

However the revs built up extrememly quickly (immediatly) and so i was having to shut it off - the bike hasnt been started in over 12 months

we believe it to be electrical as the throttle bodies and choke appear to be moving freely

Any suggestion would be greatly appreciated

Andy
Since no one else is helping...

First, put the exhaust back on. I doubt that is it, but it is an easy thing to do. On my 85 K100, I tried to start the motor with the muffler off and had no success. Put it on and the engine fired right up.

Second, disconnect the "choke" (fast idle adjust) and throttle cables at the bar controls. See if that eliminates the surging.

Next, I would check the throttle position sensor. The throttle cable runs into this. It is located at the rear end of the throttle bodies. This sensor has two switches. One indicates throttle off. The other indicates throttle wide open. Perhaps the wide open switch is stuck on. The closing of this switch leads to maximum fuel.

Try these and let me know what happens.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in