Soon to be new to BMW - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old Jul 26th, 2013, 1:23 am Thread Starter
Noob

Lightbulb Soon to be new to BMW

I love the knowledge base and comraderre of the online forums.
Saturday I plan on purchasing a 92 K75S looks nice from the pics. The owner has had it since 95 and it has 59k on the clock. What things should I look for on this particular model?
I love the look of it except the dated looking headlight housing. Does anyone know if this can be updated to a newer design? Etc. clear front lense?

Jason in Front Royal, VA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old Jul 26th, 2013, 7:03 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by My92K75S
I love the knowledge base and comraderre of the online forums.
Saturday I plan on purchasing a 92 K75S looks nice from the pics. The owner has had it since 95 and it has 59k on the clock. What things should I look for on this particular model?
I love the look of it except the dated looking headlight housing. Does anyone know if this can be updated to a newer design? Etc. clear front lense?

Jason in Front Royal, VA
Welcome to the club Jason.

When I was first looking for a comfortable and reliable motorcycle for my daily commute I took a chance on a '93 K75S and could not be more pleased.

I found my 47K bike on Craig's List near Richmond with an ABS lamp flashing, good documentation, heated grips, excellent cases and a nice Marsee tank bag. When researching the "bricks" I planned on spending some good money to "zero-time" all the regular maintenance items and new tires. This included repairing the ABS with troubleshooting and sending the brain off to Tosi in Japan for repair.

Others with more experience will probably chime in but I would certainly check the fan, brake discs and be sure to lube the splines right away if you think that maintenance has not been done regularly. Lots of information available on a number of sites that have good info on maintenance and repair. I use and read all I can find.

I'm in the middle of a long vacation and have almost 3k on it for the trip with another k to get home. It has been a great trip.

Good luck.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC05084.JPG
Views:	24
Size:	1.83 MB
ID:	14256  

Nick
1993 K75S
1991 R100RT
1982 Yamaha XJ650RJ Seca
1978 R100S
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old Jul 26th, 2013, 10:26 pm Thread Starter
Noob

Well, the owner says he put new tires, brakes, and full service 3k miles ago. Along with a Corbin seat. A friend of mine has an old Beamer don't remember which one from the 80s with over 239k on his odometer. He said pretty much what you have told me. The abs computer on the bike I'm getting does need replacement. Or, just live without it. I've never owned a bike with abs anyways. I will post pics of it, if and when I get it home tomorrow. I guess I will see how she rides on the 70 mile trip home. Wish me luck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old Jul 26th, 2013, 10:28 pm Thread Starter
Noob

Here's a pic from the ad.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	609.3 KB
ID:	14257  
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old Jul 27th, 2013, 12:41 pm

Quote:
Here's a pic from the ad.
Sweet!

Looks like you have an Odyssey battery, as do I in this and my R100RT. Expensive but good.

The brakes will work just fine without the ABS and many just remove the flasher unit and put tape over the warning lamp because of the expense of repair. I'm a bit anal about everything working properly and had never ridden a bike with ABS so I did all the troubling shooting to determine that the brain was bad and sent it off to Japan to be repaired; this was two years ago - still working as advertised. With my daily commute through traffic I've activated the rear a couple of times and while it probably was not the reason I avoided an accident, it's another layer of safety in my opinion, others may disagree.

If you're handy with a wrench, I've found the regular maintenance to be easy with the engine more like a car with an internal spin-on filter rather than a hinged element like my airheads. When I zero-timed all the maintenance items I used synthetic oil in the engine, transmission and rear drive, new fork oil, long-life coolant, moly lube on the splines, replaced the air and fuel filters, breather tube, radiator overflow tank (cracking from sun) and fuel line to the rail. Additionally I checked the valves to find no adjustment necessary (shims) and removed the starter to clean the carbon dust which I read can lead to no-start situation. I also had to replace the lock core in the fuel cap which had one of the pins used to turn the plastic locking ring broken and the holes in the ring worn from slipping. After filling the holes with JB Weld and drilling them to fit the new lock core it works as it should.

Sounds like a lot of things to do and it is but I've put over 20K trouble-free miles on it with no issues.

Nick
1993 K75S
1991 R100RT
1982 Yamaha XJ650RJ Seca
1978 R100S
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old Jul 27th, 2013, 5:24 pm

And one more thing...

I replaced the spark plugs and found those installed did not have the caps that screw on to the threads on the top and seemed to fit loosely. The replacements with the caps fit snug so I cleaned the end of each wire cap with a small wire brush and used the plug caps.

Nick
1993 K75S
1991 R100RT
1982 Yamaha XJ650RJ Seca
1978 R100S
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old Jul 27th, 2013, 10:57 pm Thread Starter
Noob

Got it home tonight and it ran flawlessly. He put new front brakes on it today because he didn't like the way they were grabbing. Lol I thought I was picky. All new fluids, new clutch cable, new battery, and full service. Loving it. He was telling before I road it that the gearbox was a little notchy, yeah right, compared to anything I've ever riden it's the smoothest shifting bike I've been on.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old Jul 29th, 2013, 10:11 pm

Quote:
Got it home tonight and it ran flawlessly. He put new front brakes on it today because he didn't like the way they were grabbing. Lol I thought I was picky. All new fluids, new clutch cable, new battery, and full service. Loving it. He was telling before I road it that the gearbox was a little notchy, yeah right, compared to anything I've ever riden it's the smoothest shifting bike I've been on.
Good for you, I wish you many trouble-free miles. My K75S came with RaceTech fork springs, a comfy Sargent seat and a Performance shock so I don't know how the OEM components work.

I just returned today from a 4000 mile trip to the midwest. The only motorcycle issue to report is that yesterday the tail light failed and the warning lamp reported it as advertised. A quick replacement from the lamp kit and I was good-to-go.

In addition to the many other maintenance items I did, I also replaced the horns with some LOUD Fiamm units purchased on Amazon. Don't know if the PO had replaced the originals but they were WEAK and I like to be able to announce myself when a texting cage driver wants to share lanes.

Nick
1993 K75S
1991 R100RT
1982 Yamaha XJ650RJ Seca
1978 R100S
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old Jul 29th, 2013, 10:18 pm Thread Starter
Noob

No kidding better safe than sorry.. I still want to upgrade the headlight.
Check this out.

http://www.dashzracing.com/7x6-H6054...hts-Black.html

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode