No sparks or fuel? - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old Sep 21st, 2013, 7:56 am Thread Starter
Noob

No sparks or fuel?

Hi all. I bought a 44K miles K1200RS 1997 last Sunday after the BMF rally and rode it home in the pouring rain for 150 miles without a hitch. The following day I washed the bike and after washing it started it to warm up. It ticked over for about 2 minutes the stopped abruptly. I tried to restart but it just span over, coughed a few times then nothing. I put it in the garage and tried again the next day. It fired up on the button but I had to keep the bike running on the throttle. There was a clicking noise from the left side of the bike that I now know to be throttle motor that keeps the tickover correct, not sure of the 'proper' name for it. Again it stopped almost as soon as I let it tick over itself, stopping abruptly with a 'clonk' noise. It now refuses to start. It goes through a start up OK, as far as I know being new to this bike and not having owned one before. On power up the pump runs and sound healthy for approx 5 seconds, the fuel hoses on the tank connection expands as pressure comes up. The neutral light oil light, temp light, both ABS lights (flash) etc. Pushing the start button cranks the bike over fine but no start! Having read a bit on the internet I checked the side stand switch, put it in gear with the ignition on and slowly lower the side stand, neutral light flicks on. I've pulled the plugs and they are bone dry, despite many cranking attempts, there are no sparks. Is there a sensor / relay that cuts both systems if the management system is not happy? I have dismantled much of the bike and checked all connections etc, no water which is what I was expecting to find. While looking the bike over it does not appear to have much maintenance under the bodywork covers so I pulled the air filter (filthy but a K&N so cleaned and put back in), and have drained the tank and removed the pump / filter so I can replace the filter. I have ordered a Clymer manual. I would like to check all the relays but have no idea which is which!! Sorry to ramble so much. Anyone got any thoughts while the manual wings its way through the post? Cheers R

Oilburnerbike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old Sep 21st, 2013, 8:36 am
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilburnerbike
Hi all. Having read a bit on the internet I checked the side stand switch, put it in gear with the ignition on and slowly lower the side stand, neutral light flicks on. Cheers R
I just went and check my 03, no flickering of the neutral light when lowering the sidestand. So all the interlocks are wired in together, that could point to a problem with the neutral/gear indicator switch.

You can disconnect that one, neutral light will come on and you will loose the gear display.

Then pull the clutch as if you were starting in gear and bike should start. I had problems with that neutral/gear indicator switch, I bent a pin when reconnecting it and bike would only start with clutch pulled in.

That's the connector along the left rail next to the ABS pump,if like mine has a bunch of yellow/brown wires coming from either side.Sidestand switch connector is also there.

The clonk...don't worry too much they all do that when they stall.

Benelli 50cc at 14
Yamaha RD 200 at 16
Yamaha RD 350 at 17
Honda CB 750 F at 18
Honda V45 Sabre at 24
BMW K100RS at 27
BMW R100GS at 34
BMW K1200RS at 53
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old Sep 22nd, 2013, 10:14 pm
Rookie

Greetings.

I think you might find the problem here is moisture getting to where it shouldn't. You experienced a drenching rain storm then you gave your bike a wash. Let it dry out if you find any sunshine and it should fire back into life without any problems.

Cheers and kindest regards

Paul
Australia

1999 K1200LT (Bismarck)
1983 K100 #0000625 (Bavarian Belle)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old Oct 3rd, 2013, 4:08 pm Thread Starter
Noob

Still no sparks or fuel!!!

I've spent many hours in the garage giving the bike a real going over. All oils changed, fuel pump out and checked, new fuel filter etc. I've checked every connector on the bike and not found much wrong. I haven't found water in any electrics checked so far. The clutch switch, neutral switch, gear indicator etc all seem to work fine. I've removed all the little relays in the under tank relay box and energised them with a battery and put a meter across the switched contacts and all seems OK. When putting in the key and turning on all seems OK. The temp light, neutral light, gear indicator '0 when not in gear', oil light, flashing ABS lights etc all seem ok. The pump fires up for approx 5 seconds and produces 50 psi on a gauge. If I try and start the bike it spins over OK but there is no spark and the plugs don't get wet. What's wrong? I have not removed to Motonic ECuU as there was no evidence of any issue with connectors anywhere else and the pump etc seems to run up OK. Looking at the wiring diagram in the Clymer manual the Motronic relay should be OK or the pump wouldn't run at initial power up. Is there a common fault that will allow the bike to go through initial power up and crank over ok but stop the ignition and injectors from firing? Is there a history of Mortonic ECUs failing? Help!!!

Oilburnerbike
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old Mar 29th, 2016, 10:23 am
Noob

Did you ever solve the problem ?

I'm having same issue with my K1200RS... not with the rain -water and washing but with the missing ignition and fuel.
asked almost all the bmw freaks that I know and did'nt find any solution to my problem.
Did you solve the problem ?

Do know that this is from back in 2013.... please anybody bring my BMW back to life
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old Apr 1st, 2016, 12:17 pm
Noob

Problem solved

Hall sensor - no ignition / spark and motronic will shut down all fuel supply
New Hall sensor and my bmw is running again.
Sensor : 300 us dollar total 500 US dollar at my motorcycel store.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old Apr 1st, 2016, 3:19 pm
Addict

Quote:
Sensor : 300 us dollar total 500 US dollar at my motorcycel store.
Shame I didn't spot your post (in the K1200RS section) as I have Honeywell equivalent electronic part numbers for tens of dollars you could have tried first.

Have a look at my upload:

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Honeywell alternative Hall sensor.jpeg
Views:	25
Size:	774.6 KB
ID:	19977  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Fitting alternative Honewell Hall sensor.pdf (233.2 KB, 41 views)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode