Anyone Put a Miata Battery in the K100 ? - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old Sep 30th, 2013, 9:38 am Thread Starter
Noob

Anyone Put a Miata Battery in the K100 ?

Many of us use lawn and garden U1R tractor batteries for more amps and to save money, but the Miata battery is the same case.

Anyone ever use one? There's a little wrangling with the terminals, but not insurmountable.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old Sep 30th, 2013, 11:13 am
Veteran

I don't see why not. Same battery than the early Ks on the R100GSs and that's what is in my garden tractor the battery from a GS.

Reminds me that when I looked into the Odissey PC680 for my K1200RS I found quite a few links on them being used in Miatas. Smaller than yours the K1200RS battery and a PC680 in a Miata....must look pretty small. But works from what I read then.

Do you just happen to have a Miata around to take the battery??? I'd certainly do that. If not I'd look for a specific listing for the Ks,they are out there and easier to work out the A/h.

Seriously, anything with enough Amps will work. Rode a few weeks with a large car battery strapped to the rack on the old GS and some "custom" wiring.

Benelli 50cc at 14
Yamaha RD 200 at 16
Yamaha RD 350 at 17
Honda CB 750 F at 18
Honda V45 Sabre at 24
BMW K100RS at 27
BMW R100GS at 34
BMW K1200RS at 53
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old Sep 30th, 2013, 2:18 pm Thread Starter
Noob

Quote:
Originally Posted by H96669
I don't see why not. Same battery than the early Ks on the R100GSs and that's what is in my garden tractor the battery from a GS.

Reminds me that when I looked into the Odissey PC680 for my K1200RS I found quite a few links on them being used in Miatas. Smaller than yours the K1200RS battery and a PC680 in a Miata....must look pretty small. But works from what I read then.

Do you just happen to have a Miata around to take the battery??? I'd certainly do that. If not I'd look for a specific listing for the Ks,they are out there and easier to work out the A/h.
Thanks for the response.

I stopped into the auto parts store and saw a Miata battery close to the U1R and started measuring. Car batteries are preferable, as they have much longer warranties than bike batteries.

It's a small matter to rig appropriate connectors; my worry is whether the K100 alternator can keep a charge up in a car battery, albeit a small one.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old Sep 30th, 2013, 3:23 pm
Veteran

You'll be fine with the alternator thing. Sure will keep up. Amps are good,the more the better, will just take longer for the alternator to recharge the battery if you let it go down. But again all depends on the ratings of the batteries.

Don't know if the Miata is top post??? If so and there is room you can drill/tap and thread into the posts and maybe use the OEM connectors. Just what I did when I rode around with the car battery on the GS, drilled and tapped. Just checked, I still have that battery...800cca good old Sears Diehard and no problems with even the notoriously wimpy alternator on the BMW Rs.

We had half a dozen batteries in the box of the shop truck back then all connected together,lots of jumpstarting "service calls" in the winter, never had to put them on the charger all seemed to be kept topped up well enough by AC Delco.

Benelli 50cc at 14
Yamaha RD 200 at 16
Yamaha RD 350 at 17
Honda CB 750 F at 18
Honda V45 Sabre at 24
BMW K100RS at 27
BMW R100GS at 34
BMW K1200RS at 53
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old Oct 1st, 2013, 8:07 am
PsyKotic Waterfowl

I run my K100 on a Big Crank ETX-15L battery. Only weighs 11.5 pounds. Good reliable AGM battery for $72 shipped.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode