Brake light wiring - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old Jan 29th, 2014, 9:48 pm Thread Starter
Noob

Brake light wiring

Hey gang,

I've been enjoying the forum as I've been ramping up on my K75 cafe/tracker project. I'm now in the thick of it and have what I hope is a simple problem.

I'm swapping out the brake light assembly for a simple universal one and the bike seems to have two leads. One lead is for running and the other for brake. I've always struggled with wiring stuff and I'm wondering if anyone has a simple solution. Ideally I'd like to use a one bulb assembly and have it be dim for running and bright for braking. Right now I can hook it up to one set of leads and get braking, or the other and get running.

Any thoughts on how to make the conversion?

thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old Jan 30th, 2014, 2:08 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesignTaylor
Hey gang,

I've been enjoying the forum as I've been ramping up on my K75 cafe/tracker project. I'm now in the thick of it and have what I hope is a simple problem.

I'm swapping out the brake light assembly for a simple universal one and the bike seems to have two leads. One lead is for running and the other for brake. I've always struggled with wiring stuff and I'm wondering if anyone has a simple solution. Ideally I'd like to use a one bulb assembly and have it be dim for running and bright for braking. Right now I can hook it up to one set of leads and get braking, or the other and get running.

Any thoughts on how to make the conversion?

thanks!
I did this on my K100. It took a while to get it right. I tried various combinations until it worked. Dont know what is doing what with mine. It works though. No blown fuses, no fire.

You have three leads from the tail light? Tell me the colors of the leads from the wiring harness and the colors from the tail light. I will look to see if they match mine and tell you how mine is set up.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old Jan 30th, 2014, 9:37 pm

IIRC the original setup used 2 single filiment bulbs. 1 for the running light and the 2nd for the brake light function.

To run with just 1 lamp you need a dual filiment lamp. 1157 is the old "standard" dual filiment lamp used for automotive tail/brake applications.

You will also need a 3 wire socket for this to work.

Both of my bikes have had the "K-Tail-2" conversion kits installed which changes the socket to a 3 wire setup, and adds extra lighting to the sides.

http://www.run-n-lites.com/K-T-2.asp

Ride safe

1997 K1100LT
1995 K1100LT
Garmin StreetPilot 2820
Garmin Zumo 550
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old Jan 31st, 2014, 9:18 pm

I bought a cheap tailight that acts as a brake light, a running light and a plate light.

I cut the three plug socket and the shrink wrap off the light harness. I also cut off the two connectors from the wires from the motorcycle. After I figured out how the wiring went I added spade connectors and shrink tubing.

Last edited by 97tiger885; Jan 31st, 2014 at 9:26 pm.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old Feb 1st, 2014, 10:34 pm Thread Starter
Noob

Thanks guys.

I currently have this tail light assembly which is 2-wire:
http://www.dimecitycycles.com/vintag...t-20-0091.html

I'm wondering if I can make it work, or if I should get a 3-wire set up like this:
http://www.jpcycles.com/product/340-...FeJF7AodMjkACw

My wires are:
Brown
Gray / Yellow
Gray / Black
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old Feb 2nd, 2014, 8:46 am
Veteran

You need a three wire set up,no choice there. When you get it, connect the black wire to a battery ground.

Then alternately the other twos to the positive. The one showing "more light" will be the brake light.

Don't know for sure how the bike is wired, but there has to be a brown wire going to the tailight. This will be the ground to the new light, BMW grounds are always brown.

So black from the new taillight to BMW brown and then either the other twos to their corresponding function, brake and tail,but make sure the brake light puts out more light than the parking light.

Benelli 50cc at 14
Yamaha RD 200 at 16
Yamaha RD 350 at 17
Honda CB 750 F at 18
Honda V45 Sabre at 24
BMW K100RS at 27
BMW R100GS at 34
BMW K1200RS at 53
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old Feb 2nd, 2014, 12:33 pm

It was more complicated than I remembered. The bad news is this is what it took to get my turn signals, brake light, running light and plate light to work. The good news is I am an electrical idiot. So, if I did it, so can you. Everything is working and has worked for thousands of miles. At some point I will clean it up for a better look.

It isnt as messy as it looks.

I had to make two Y-adaptors.

If you still have the block connectors on the harness and original light, you can cut away the shrink tubing to expose the wiring. This will tell you how the colors are connected. The trick is to keep the connections you have and to get the blue and black wires connected. That takes two Ys. The Ys are easy to make.

Last edited by 97tiger885; Feb 2nd, 2014 at 12:44 pm.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old Feb 2nd, 2014, 3:02 pm Thread Starter
Noob

Thanks so much!

Just ordered a 3-wire brake light, when it arrives I'll put this information to good use. In the meantime I'm working on hooking up my Acewell cluster. So far so good.

thanks again.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode