Going "Darkside".. - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old Mar 15th, 2014, 8:31 am Thread Starter

Lightbulb Going "Darkside"..

This is probably going to open a big debate.

I've ridden a car tire mounted on the rear wheel of a Suzuki Burgman 650 for over 14k miles without troubles.

Now I want to put a car tire on a K75S, since most if not all of my riding will be on highways cruising at speed.

Any K-bike owners ever tried to put a car tire on the rear wheel?

Which make/model car tire have you used?

Any pictures of your car tire mounted?

Master your environment, and you will survive just fine.
Chances favor the prepared mind.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old Mar 15th, 2014, 10:58 am
PsyKotic Waterfowl

How wide of a tire? I suspect that you'll run into swing arm and/or center stand clearance issues.
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old Mar 15th, 2014, 11:21 am

I just talked a good friend of mine off of the "car tire on a bike" strategy (he has a Bergman) as false economy. Put on a mileage friendly motorcycle tire. You just stack the deck a little more against you.

Frank

'17 R1200RS, 2 yrs. 25,000 mi.
'16 R1200RS, 18 mo. 28,000 mi. (gone)
'03 R1100S Boxer Cup Replika 6/200
'85 K100/1100RS, 34 yrs. 326,000 mi.
'05 R1200ST, 8 yrs. 57,400 mi.-3rd deer killed it.
'11 R1200RT, 2 yrs. 30,000 mi. (gone)
'99 R1100S, 2 yrs. 15,000 mi. (gone)
'96 Ducati 900SS/SP, 12 yrs. (gone)
500,000+ BMW miles
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old Mar 15th, 2014, 3:11 pm
Addict

Guess you'll be going in a straight line all the time. Turning might be a challenge ala HD.

Marin Phil
2013 K13S-Anniv ED
'06 K12GT Blue of course!_Sold-too many problems
'05 Ducati 999-My Italian Mistress_sold and missed
2004 K12 GT-Orient Blue-the new me.-Sold
about 30 before that but too old to remember them all..
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old Mar 15th, 2014, 7:49 pm Thread Starter

Cool

Not long ago, no one would consider earth is round.. or that planes can fly.. plenty of car tires have been mounted on motorized 2-wheel vehicles and millions of miles have been ridden on them. No indication that incidents are more likely riding with car tires mounted on the rear wheel.

As someone who has experience riding with a car tire mounted on the rear wheel, I can say that it is safer in most applications when operator knows how to ride, just as any tire, moto specific or not. Just as any new tire mounted on a vehicle, moto or car specific, learning curve of vehicle handling is to be expected.

But to debate about this topic without actual experience is like telling someone the riding a motorcycle is dangerous shouldn't be attempted while never ridden a bike themselves.

I've ridden 14k miles on a single car tire ($85) mounted on a Burgman 650; 45% 2-up riding, never an issue, not even a flat.. still have plenty of tread when I sold the Burgman...that enough info for me to believe it personally...

Plenty of videos on Youtube with car tires mounted on Goldwings, Triumph Tiger, Rocket IIIs, leaned at steep angles in corners, just a search away.

Here are some samples:

SPORT Riding on the Darkside - Triumph Rocket III

Contact patch

Last edited by cat0020; Mar 15th, 2014 at 8:08 pm.
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old Mar 15th, 2014, 9:15 pm
Addict

crazy stupid...maybe i'll call it the lite side and put p4's on my car ,probably will handle great in the twistie's ..i mean for a crossover with motorcycle tire's and all..lol

i've spent most my money on bike's boat's and broad's the rest i've wasted..
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old Mar 15th, 2014, 10:42 pm
PsyKotic Waterfowl

Not a darksider myself but I've read enough posts by people who have done it to realize that it's not the end of the world/recipe for disaster that those who haven't predict.

The biggest downside I think would be that going straight in the wet might cause locking up when braking or hydroplaning the rear given the large contact patch and relatively light weight compared to the load a car puts on a tire. Then again, using a car tire that's got a tread designed for wet driving might mitigate that.

I think the widest tire you could put on a 3" three spoke rear without running into side clearance issues would be a 140, maybe a 150, width tire.

And I think it's awesome that you put a car tire on a scoot. If nothing else then to mess with people's preconceptions.

Last edited by FlyingDuck; Mar 15th, 2014 at 11:04 pm.
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old Mar 16th, 2014, 8:42 am
Addict

this is the worthless type of bike that street tire's are good for..if engineer's and racers use motorcycle tire's then so will i
this dam thing we do called riding motorcycle's (not scooters) is dangerous enough that i need every bit of engineering and saftey to come into play and with car tire's that aint happening
i have no respect for cheap ass people that do this ,to me it's like riding with out proper gear and even worse when you do it to a beemer ..
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	untitled.png
Views:	31
Size:	102.1 KB
ID:	15594  

post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old Mar 16th, 2014, 9:07 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikes-ss
this is the worthless type of bike that street tire's are good for..if engineer's and racers use motorcycle tire's then so will i
this dam thing we do called riding motorcycle's (not scooters) is dangerous enough that i need every bit of engineering and saftey to come into play and with car tire's that aint happening
i have no respect for cheap ass people that do this ,to me it's like riding with out proper gear and even worse when you do it to a beemer ..
Just the kind of people like you who criticize those who think differently that lead to failure of innovation and actual progress like flying and sailing around the earth.

Leave it to those who actually think for advancement and stop your non-contributing posts.

BTW, I likely ride more aggressively on my any of my scooters than you on your BMW, with or without proper gear.

Respect is to be given before you can receive; give no respect, you don't deserve none.

Last edited by cat0020; Mar 16th, 2014 at 2:23 pm.
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old Mar 16th, 2014, 6:48 pm
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by cat0020
Just the kind of people like you who criticize those who think differently that lead to failure of innovation and actual progress like flying and sailing around the earth.

Leave it to those who actually think for advancement and stop your non-contributing posts.

BTW, I likely ride more aggressively on my any of my scooters than you on your BMW, with or without proper gear.

Respect is to be given before you can receive; give no respect, you don't deserve none.
sir i lost respect for you when you made the post ,and i alway's dress for the crash and can personally say i have not nor will not ever ride a scooter..cheers and good luck at discount tire...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode