BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

Need Help removing fuel tank on 92 K100RS

6K views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  FlyingDuck 
#1 ·
Hey guys,
I am new to BMW's and this forum.
I bought a 1992 K100rs. I need to replace the cooling fan, but the Clymer manual is useless. I do not want to damage anything, so I'd love a little help. The Clymer says to release pressure on the fuel system and remove various fuel hoses, then remove the bolt at the rear of the tank under the seat. I do not see a mounting bolt ANYWHERE! At the rear of the tank, underneath I see what appears to be two rubber bumpers between the frame rails and the tank. ? I know something is holding the seat down but I do not see anything. I also plam to replace the water / oil pump, if the very slight oil leakage into the cooling system does not stop.
Thanks for any and all input!

Tony P
Monroe, NC

Attachments

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
Your manual is describing the early method of tank mounting on the K100. The tank on your '92 is mounted with two "pegs" at the rear of the tank into grommets in the frame. The pegs are held in place with "E" clips under the grommets. After the clips are removed, you pull up on the rear to release it. From my experience, removing and installing isn't easy.

The seat release is on the left side, below the seat about half way back. It is lockable so you may have to unlock with the key. Push inward to release the seat to hinge up. You remove the seat by removing three e clips from the pivot points of the seat. You may have to remove the side covers for better access. They come off by pulling the forward mount peg out of the tank grommet, pushing the cover down to release a hook in the center, then forward to release the rear peg.

Frank

#4 ·
You'll have to remove the tank (at least mostly) to service the cooling system later.

I, too, recommend removing the radiator to do this job.

Frank

#5 ·
Thanks guys for all of the great advise. I love this bike, and I do not want to force anything from lack of knowledge. This Clymer manual is not helping. The Clymer says to remove the bodywork, drain the coolant, depressurize and remove the fuel tank,.......I am sure you guys are a much better source of information. The fellow I bought the bike from has a set of BMW manuals but he cannot find them ...yet!
Tony P

#6 ·
Tonyp884 said:
Thanks guys for all of the great advise. I love this bike, and I do not want to force anything from lack of knowledge. This Clymer manual is not helping. The Clymer says to remove the bodywork, drain the coolant, depressurize and remove the fuel tank,.......I am sure you guys are a much better source of information. The fellow I bought the bike from has a set of BMW manuals but he cannot find them ...yet!
Tony P

If you need BMW manuals I have them here: http://sn.im/kbiketech

#7 ·
You need to remove all the lower bodywork/fairings but not the upper fairing. Keep track of what kind of screw goes where as it comes apart. The coolant drain is on the bottom of the water pump- if you have a temp gauge it will be the temp sensor mounted in the same place.

If memory serves- there is one bolt at the top that holds the radiator in. You of course have to disconnect all the hoses (3?) and the fan connector. The rad tilts forward from the top and comes off two lower mounting lugs.

Take your time, pay attention to how things go together and don't force anything .

Frank

#8 ·
If you have a phone with a camera, use it. I suggest setting up an account on Photobucket or similar site. Take the shot, upload it and disassemble. Then if you have a question on reassembly, go to your albums and have a look.

A tablet with a camera is better. You don't need to upload to Photobucket. The photo is there for you to grab.

That is how I do it.

I also use a notebook and list the order in which I disassembled. If necessary, I make labeled diagrams to help. For hardware, I use cupcake pans. I put a paper label in each cup telling me what the items go to, the number of the step in the notebook and the number of pieces in that cup.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.