K75S Water Pump Seal - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old Apr 4th, 2014, 7:07 pm Thread Starter

K75S Water Pump Seal

I've also posted this to the IBMWR BMW-Tech list looking for any assistance

A rather frustrating day today.

I had noticed that my coolant recovery reservoir had dropped a bit a couple of week ago so I checked the weep hole to find it wet with coolant.

So, I researched the replacement procedure, found it on IBMWR to include the addendum to address the new water pump seal. The impeller, oil, water pump seals and two O-rings were ordered and received along with new long-life coolant and everything for an oil change. The oil pump shaft is in good shape, no pitting.

The replacement process went well with the water pump gasket looking trashed even before driving it out of the housing. All the parts went together as described in the process and I was sure to use the impeller bolt with a washer to pull the shaft through so as not to destroy the water pump seal. But there was a bushing that came out with the seal that is not identified in the BMW 1988 service manual, Haynes, RealOEM parts breakdown nor mentioned in the IBMWR procedure. So I figured, possibly incorrectly that it was part of the original water seal.

As you probably have guess, after fluid replacement and tank installation all appeared fine for a bit. Then there was a coolant drip out the weep hole with possibly some oil.

Disassembly next and I know the seals will have to be replaced but is there a place for the bushing mentioned above that caused it not to seal? It's 3mm thick, inside diameter is the same as the oil pump shaft, outside diameter is the same as the oil pump seal (water pump side). It is cut approximately 1mm thinner along the inside.

My thought now is that this bushing goes in after the oil seal with the cut side toward the oil pump seal.

All assistance is greatly appreciated. Although I have other motorcycles, the weather is great and I should be riding, not wrenching.

pic added
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bushing.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	669.5 KB
ID:	15745  

Nick
1993 K75S
1991 R100RT
1982 Yamaha XJ650RJ Seca
1978 R100S

Last edited by stokester; Apr 4th, 2014 at 7:58 pm.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old Apr 4th, 2014, 7:56 pm

I'll guess it's just a part from the old seal, that you can throw away.
It was a thread with the same "problem" at another forum a few weeks ago.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode