Indicators flash too fast - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old Aug 20th, 2014, 1:48 pm Thread Starter
Noob

Indicators flash too fast

Hi,

I dropped my K100 a couple of weeks ago at slow speed on gravel. Not too bad, but the indicators on the LH side were smashed, so I've replaced them all with some aftermarket ones off ebay. They function but flash much too fast. I've changed the bulbs to 21w from 5w, but there is no difference, they still flash too fast!

Anyone have any suggestions?

Cheers - Craig
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old Aug 21st, 2014, 12:28 pm
Addict

Here is a non bike specific suggestion.

First make sure that both front and rear are actually flashing. The systems are designed to flash fast when one bulb is dead.

Now you say you have changed the bulb wattage to 4 times what it should be! I don't know the bike, but 5 watt seems low. Most indicator systems rely on the correct wattage bulbs being used to get the correct flash rate. If you really have increased bulb size from 5W to 21W, that is massive and could also burn out something in the control unit. If the flasher unit is the older type heater and bi-metal switch design, then the switch will operate quicker (faster flash rate) with bigger bulbs.

If you want to fit larger wattage flasher bulbs, you really need to make sure your flasher unit is an electronic relay type which would flash at the correct rate and is independent of the bulb wattages used.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old Aug 22nd, 2014, 4:04 am Thread Starter
Noob

The original bulbs fitted were 21w, I just uprated the 5w bulbs supplied with the indicators to the same wattage as original.

They are all fashing, just too fast.

Cheers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old Aug 22nd, 2014, 8:18 am
Addict

OK, misunderstanding.

If both 21W lamps are lit and flashing too fast, then I suspect the flasher unit took some impact so try replacing it.

Many of these lamp housings use silvered plastic parts. 5-21 watt lamp change is a big increase in heat and current for the unit and bulb holder. The UK/EU regulations are 60-120 flashes per minute which allows for battery only or with motor running (charging).

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old Aug 26th, 2014, 5:11 am Thread Starter
Noob

I managed to do a little more delving at the weekend. I fitted the original bulbs into the new unit (minus the cover as the bulb is physically too large) & lo & behold the flash rate dropped back to what it should be!

I measured the resistance of the original large, the 5w & the new 21w bulbs, oddly the 5w & new 21w are the same! so I suspect that the new 21w bulbs have been mislabeled. Am now looking at fitting a replacement flasher unit suitable for LED bulbs which should accommodate the lower wattage bulbs I have, probably cheaper & more readily available than th 21w small bulbs I need.

Do you know if I can use a standard flasher replacement or is it a special BMW type?!!

Cheers
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old Aug 27th, 2014, 7:22 am
Addict

The cold resistance of both filaments may have been similar. Anyway you got the problem solved to the lamp.

The only way to use the existing flasher with led lamps is to wire a load resistor across each led lamp so the total power is still 21 watts per lamp. That is really messy, because each resistor would need to be about 10 ohms and produce 20 watts of heat! That rather defeats the object of why you would want leds in the first place.

You need an aftermarket relay based flasher unit where the flash rate is independent of lamp load. Something like this:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Universal-...item3ce21e48a1

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_fr...relay&_sacat=0

Or you could design your own using a 555 multi vibrator timer and relay. Actually, these things are not as simple as they seem because the law for most turn signal flashers is they always start flashing from lamp on when you operate the turn signal switch and they should still detect when a lamp or contact has failed, by giving a warning or changing (speeding up) the flashrate speed. Expect the cheap import relay based units NOT to do the latter.

post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old Aug 27th, 2014, 10:44 am Thread Starter
Noob

Thanks for your replies. Think I'll probably go for the cheap & cheerfull option for the time being!!

Will let you know how it goes.

Cheers

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode