Scalloped Front Tire Wear - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old Mar 27th, 2015, 6:36 pm Thread Starter
Rookie

Scalloped Front Tire Wear

Time to get new tires again but while the rear has worn very evenly (about 7500 miles), the front tire has a scalloped or cupped wear pattern to the left of center causing a need for replacement at about 3500 miles. I've never seen this before but if it were a car, I'd say it was a suspension issue. So, I'll replace the fork fluid but I'm not sure there is much else I know how to do. Any ideas out there? I'm running Shinkos 130/60 on the front and 160/60 on the rear. And yes, they were cheap. I am considering Pirelli Angel GT Sport as replacements. Thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old Mar 28th, 2015, 6:56 pm
Rookie

I too recently replaced tires and had noticibly more wear on the left than to the right. I put on the Michelein Pilot Road 4 on my k1300Gt. I don't have too many miles on them yet....prior tires were Metzler Z8's.

In my case, the more more significant wear on the left side isn't too much of a mystery. I have noticed that I am much more comfortable cornering in left hand turns than I am in right hand turns. For sure, I am much more aggressive on the throttle and braking in left turns than right turns. I have even named to "NASCARitust".

Last year I did my first track day and at the newbie orientation, brought this up at the classroom Q&A time and was reassured that almost everyone has a preferred side for cornering and more often than not, people prefer left cornering rather than right. They explained that when we corner, we push on the left handlebar to start the turn and our left hand's only other responsibility is shifting. Our right hand not only has to help corner but also deals with the throttle and braking!!! This made total sense to me!!! With that I took on the challenge of improving my less comfortable side for cornering and have made some progress at it but need more practice

Eric S.
2009 K1300GT - Red
1986 Harley Davidson FXRT - Sold
1982 Yamaha Seca 650 Turbo - Sold
1982 Yamaha XT 200 - Traded in
1980 Yamaha IT 125 - Traded in
1975 Honda XR 75 - Traded in
Honda Z50 - Traded in
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old Mar 28th, 2015, 8:51 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by erider
Time to get new tires again but while the rear has worn very evenly (about 7500 miles), the front tire has a scalloped or cupped wear pattern to the left of center causing a need for replacement at about 3500 miles. I've never seen this before but if it were a car, I'd say it was a suspension issue. So, I'll replace the fork fluid but I'm not sure there is much else I know how to do. Any ideas out there? I'm running Shinkos 130/60 on the front and 160/60 on the rear. And yes, they were cheap. I am considering Pirelli Angel GT Sport as replacements. Thanks in advance!
What model of motorcycle?
Did you have the same wear on the previous set of tires?
Any ride/performance issues?

Nick
1993 K75S
1991 R100RT
1982 Yamaha XJ650RJ Seca
1978 R100S
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old Mar 29th, 2015, 4:02 pm Thread Starter
Rookie

Thanks for the replys. I'd like the idea of favoring the left turn if it were not for the uneven wear on the left side; scalloped! I intentionally left the bike and tire information out, looking for general causes to a situation like this. But, the bike is a 91 K100 RS with about 35,000 miles. This set and the previous set of Shinkos showed the same wear, except this current set is worse than the previous. I haven't noticed any handling issues, except now with the wear, the steering feels a little heave at slower speeds, and of course, it favors a left turn. I have the bike in the garage now, waiting to drain the fork oil and I'll keep an eye on the volume on both sides. What about differing fork spring tension; could that be an issue? Doesn't seem likely. I'll let you know what I find...Thanks.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old Mar 29th, 2015, 8:26 pm

I don't have any experience with Shinko tires generally sticking with Pirelli, Avon and Michelin for my rides.

There has been some slight scalloping of my front tires as I approach the wear limit but not enough to notice one side being greater than the other. I do get considerably more miles than you've reported from all of the above brands with the Avons being the best. This is with frequent trips to the Blue Ridge and a long trip last year to the MOA National Rally via the Parkway, Deal's Gap and the Cherohala Skyway. The Pirelli Sport Demons on the K75S currently have about 8K on them with possibly another 2K left on the rear. I generally put new ones on just as the wear bars show.

So, in my experience and from some research, your wear pattern seems to be reasonable and the mileage may be typical for that tire and your riding style. Others may have direct experience.

What tire pressure do you run?

Nick
1993 K75S
1991 R100RT
1982 Yamaha XJ650RJ Seca
1978 R100S
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old Mar 30th, 2015, 9:28 pm Thread Starter
Rookie

I run the front tire at about 32 psi. I have picked out a pair of Pirelli Angel GT Sport tires. I'm going to give these a try. I just checked out the front Shinko again. Besides the scalloped wear on the left, there is also a noticeable ridge line along the left side, off center about 3/4 of an inch. There must be some kind of alignment issue....gotta be.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old Mar 31st, 2015, 2:15 am

Had the scallop effect and ridges on a set of tires on a 94K1100. Got new tires and advice which was to use more pressure, 38 front 42 rear. Haven't had tires do it since.
For what its worth.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old Apr 1st, 2015, 6:30 pm Thread Starter
Rookie

Finally, someone else who's seen this problem. Thanks for the info.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode