1995 K1100RS -- thinking of buying: help! - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old Sep 10th, 2015, 9:26 am Thread Starter
Rookie

1995 K1100RS -- thinking of buying: help!

Hi all... glad to be back!

Just to set the context... I have been riding since 1987 and have owned 10 motorcycles. I am currently enjoying my urban commuting toy: a 2015 Yamaha SMAX (SX155) scooter!

The scooter is just plain fun. It will even do a GPS indicated 112 km/hr with rpm left to spare! The problem, of course, is that while this flickable little toy offers a spirited ride and sips fuel, it is no highway barge!

I used to own a 2001 blue K1200RS, and while I loved the power and torque (and overall appearance), I hated those complex "multi-nipple" servo-assisted brakes (!), difficult-to-remove plastics, and it had a chronic timing chain cover leak that I simply couldn't solve. I got rid of it, and personally, I never regretted that decision for a moment.

Enter 2015... and I am hungry for reliable sport-touring mount.

I came across a "one-owner" 1995 K1100RS with 41,800 km on the odometer at a local dealer. All maintenance up-to-date and it is in excellent overall condition. It is red in colour, and it just stands out as "pure Bavarian" in style.

I love the lines and look, and I love the brick motor. I hear these are the last of the "good bricks", but I don't know.

What can you tell me about this machine, and are there any drawbacks?

2015 Yamaha SMAX (XC155) -- "battle scooter"
Looking at BMW again... what to buy?

Last edited by Kurgan; Sep 10th, 2015 at 9:33 am.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old Sep 10th, 2015, 7:05 pm

No drawbacks depends on the bike which only tou can see. I have a 94 version with 120,000K's on it. Only ever had standard maintenance done to it apart from a replacement shock on the back. Hasn't been ridden much since 08 as I replaced it with a GT but have never been able to bring myself to sell it, much to the annoyance of my better half.

Anyway would pay to see when the bucket gaps were last checked and when the spline was last greased. Also check for oil weeping under the engine/gearbox. You may also be looking at a rear shock down the track. Hopefully it has it's manual and toolkit. If not screw the dealer down a bit. Well worth a try.

The K1100 is a great bike and sure you will enjoy it if you pull the trigger.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old Sep 11th, 2015, 4:32 am
Rookie

I have a 95 LT-P, which I replaced an 87 K100RT with. Beautiful! Torquier and more relaxed rake than the 100, uses 15% less fuel and eats long rides in comfort. Feels much more relaxed than the 100, but I realised I was actually cornering a bit quicker on it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old Sep 12th, 2015, 9:39 am

I had a 93 K1100RS, great machine, bike loved cool weather
Never needed much maintenance besides the general fluids etc. I would also count on new shocks and check for general leaks.
The riding position is a bit forward leaning so you'll either have to get used to it or pass depending on how you can handle it. Hopefully it has the luggage rack / back rest on it. If not finding one would be nice.
I always thought the K11 was a great sport bike to race around on. Not so much a great sport tourer for cross country. Make sure the little adjustable wind deflector is present at the top of the screen, actually makes a decent difference at higher speed
If I found one in good shape and had the money, its a bike I wouldn't hesitate to buy. I've had some bikes I would never buy again.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old Oct 20th, 2015, 6:01 pm
Noob

Likely the rear shock is shot and front seals are or will be bad soon. Front springs are weak so expect to replace the springs and rear shock as pair matched to your size. Other than that it shouldn't make any odd noises. Get the K1100 over the K100. Many things were improved. The K1100RS will cook you in 80+ degree heat at low speed.

I love mine, but I am looking for something newer. I have '96 with 30K miles for sale.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old Dec 31st, 2015, 3:42 pm
Noob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurgan
Hi all... glad to be back!

Just to set the context... I have been riding since 1987 and have owned 10 motorcycles. I am currently enjoying my urban commuting toy: a 2015 Yamaha SMAX (SX155) scooter!

The scooter is just plain fun. It will even do a GPS indicated 112 km/hr with rpm left to spare! The problem, of course, is that while this flickable little toy offers a spirited ride and sips fuel, it is no highway barge!

I used to own a 2001 blue K1200RS, and while I loved the power and torque (and overall appearance), I hated those complex "multi-nipple" servo-assisted brakes (!), difficult-to-remove plastics, and it had a chronic timing chain cover leak that I simply couldn't solve. I got rid of it, and personally, I never regretted that decision for a moment.

Enter 2015... and I am hungry for reliable sport-touring mount.

I came across a "one-owner" 1995 K1100RS with 41,800 km on the odometer at a local dealer. All maintenance up-to-date and it is in excellent overall condition. It is red in colour, and it just stands out as "pure Bavarian" in style.

I love the lines and look, and I love the brick motor. I hear these are the last of the "good bricks", but I don't know.

What can you tell me about this machine, and are there any drawbacks?

I own a 1996 K1100RS with 102000 km and a 2002 R1150RS with 42000km. Very different bikes. The R will get me were I want to go, so will the K. The difference is the thrill. Although the K is top heavy it is just so much better when you are in the zone, nearly orgasmic. Steady as a rock at any speed unlike the R. The K is serviced once a year and has never ever let me down. I will probably sell the K this year as I am retiring and do not want to pay insurance x2, but will be sad to let it go and also because I know it has many miles/km left in it worry free.
Good luck.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old Jul 28th, 2016, 12:09 pm
Noob

Great bike with two problems.

In addition to what you already ready about shocks, etc. it is heavy, as in top heavy. Be careful stopping hard with the bars turned slightly, you are going down.

It's gonna fry your thighs and adjacent parts in the warmer months. The heat coming out of the fairing is awful.

Having said that I wish I still had mine. I rode most of the K1200RS model and while they had power they seemed tame to me and didn't inspire me much. On the other hand the K1100RS (1995) was the most ferocious bike I have owned. It scream in acceleration and was breath taking the way it stopped. I used it as a plaything in the North Carolina mountains and a touring bike on I-95. Took a number of 600 mile trips.

Either you are gonna love it or you are gonna hate it.

(I had a 2005 Aprilla Touno that was wicked but I swear the K bike would outrun it up to 140.)
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old Aug 2nd, 2016, 8:27 pm
PsyKotic Waterfowl

Go for it. I've owned almost 20 different K bikes and my favorite (which I still own and ride) is my 94 Mystic Red K1100RS.

And Aerosmith thinks it's amazing:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zSmOvYzSeaQ

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode