start button 86 k100rt - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old Oct 25th, 2015, 7:14 pm Thread Starter
Noob

start button 86 k100rt

Occasionally when I hit the start button nothing happens. 100 % of the time the second push of start button engine starts right up. Hard to say how long its been going on but at least for as long as I have had bike which is a year.

Any thoughts?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old Dec 1st, 2015, 1:36 am

Just been through this on my '85.

You need to remove the switch assembly from the right bar and clean it.

It's held on with a small phillips head machine screw that runs forward and horizontally. That screw can be tight so be sure your screwdriver is up to snuff. You may have to remove the large phillips that secures the cover next to the brake fluid reservoir, just above the switch assembly (I had to).

The pushbutton is retained from the bottom by a c-clip. Slide that off with something pointy but be sure you can catch the button when it falls out, the brass contact and most importantly there are two tiny springs, less than 1/8 inch long. Don't lose them...

Once the brass contact is out, burnish all visible brass clean and shiny. The starter is activated when the brass contacts on the button hit the protruding brass contacts that are opposite each other... you'll see how it works when it's apart.

Once again DO NOT LOSE THE TINY TINY SPRINGS, they are essential for the kill switch to work properly.

If you get this far I don't have to tell you how it goes back together.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode