Starting - Ignition Switch - What ??? - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old Jun 10th, 2016, 5:27 pm Thread Starter
Noob

Starting - Ignition Switch - What ???

First.. my 92 K100RS has been sitting in the garage for 3 weeks. I've read volumes on issues with the Ignition Switch, starter Relay, starter, etc.
Symptoms:

First... about a month ago the Ignition switch seemed flaky... needed to turn it on a few times to get lights in the instruments. I oiled it with TriFlow and turned it back and forth about ten times... no more issues... ever.

Next... at a grocery store parking lot... I turned off the ignition and the STARTER started...Turned it back on... bike started OK... turned it off... started kicked in. This happened 4-5 times... so I left the store and went home... thinking... what's faster... remove the starter relay or disconnect the batter. I disconnected the battery.

The next day I gutted the bike and removed the starter (great engineering... remove everything to get to the starter)... took it inside and rebuilt it. It had a ton of carbon in it... cleaned everything... checked brushes... both fine (1/2"+)... reassembled it... re-installed it.

Next... then the bike would not start... and I did not hear the fuel pump start... but I installed a new fuel pump 1 1/2 years ago. I tested the connectors for the fuel pump and has not getting juice... applied 12 volts to the gas tank end and the starter started spinning.

So I removed the cover to the starter solenoid... checked the contacts... no issues and no corrosion at all... spring was working fine. When I put the solenoid back in and tried to start again... the fuel pump came on... but no start... no fire. (Voltage to contact 86 was fine too).

I removed the plugs... all dry. Cleaned the plugs... checked the gaps... re-installed. Tested for spark... got zapped doing it... all plugs firing.

Tried to start the bike again... I hear occasional firing... but won't start. Checked the plug wires... installed OK (hard to mess up anyway if you've changed plugs a few times).

Checked the kickstand switch... all is OK... voltage good... switch performs like new.

I have not yet taken the Ignition Switch apart... but it only acted up once and never again. I have not taken the Kill switch apart... but it stops in all 3 positions like new.

I have not checked the Neutral sensing circuit... but this issue started with a starter issue. I plan to disassemble the Ignition Switch tonight... started drilling holes... and swearing at German Engineering... again.

(I lived and worked in Germany... with German Engineers on my team... have 2 master degrees and 30 years of Engineering Project Management... and Germans over-engineer and design stupid solutions on a daily basis... and no one ever questions them. I find out about them years after... or 20 years after as in my bike).

What's the purpose of the conical section security bolts? Bikes are stolen most of the time by dragging them onto a trailer... then taken to a garage... and any garage can remove these bolts. Thieves don't care... but to an owner... it's a pain in the butt when the starter switch gets corroded or a connection breaks.

Any other suggestions... other than buy a HARLEY ?I plan to do that.

I just cannot imagine ANYONE who has maintained a BMW for a while... since 1992 for me... not swearing at German engineering every time they work on a bike.

Save up some money - BUY A HARLEY !!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old Jun 11th, 2016, 12:02 pm
Veteran

Too long and all over the place.Mixing rants and diagnostics?

Doesn't look like you switched the loadshed relay with one of the other ones yet.Use the horn relay to do that,better no horn than no running.

Benelli 50cc at 14
Yamaha RD 200 at 16
Yamaha RD 350 at 17
Honda CB 750 F at 18
Honda V45 Sabre at 24
BMW K100RS at 27
BMW R100GS at 34
BMW K1200RS at 53

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode