'93 K75 rear MC stuck piston HELP! and other issues - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old Feb 18th, 2017, 7:26 am Thread Starter
Noob

Garage
'93 K75 rear MC stuck piston HELP! and other issues

Hello, first time posting here. I am the proud owner of a 93 K75 with 45k miles. had it since April last year and have been doing some well needed maintenance on it.

The previous owner has a great record of whats been done and when but I noticed brakes were just never on his list, neither was an air filter.

well, I decided to start with the "easy" stuff and change oil and flush brake fluid (till I can get new lines in and change the system all together). Oil was/is a mess including hot glue to act as engine gaskets (I am now rebuilding the engine to replace all that I can, thankfully no damage seems to have been done) but the main issue is the brakes.

The front was DISGUSTING but the rear was... cloudy. this seemed odd so I check the lines, it seems that my rear MC piston is STUCK. I mean its not going anywhere, I thought that it was a strange system I hadn't seen before because the MC seemed solid thats how stuck it is. I really would like to not replace the MC (as that is kinda expensive) and I would rather just repair, but if I gotta I gotta.

What I'm here for: anyone know a trick to get the MC piston unstuck? Or an affordable MC to replace with?

What I have tried: new fluid, compressed air, soaking it in vinegar, soaking in WD40, taking a torch to it. next up will be freezing it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old Feb 18th, 2017, 4:39 pm
Rookie

FWIW: I've not seen much involvement with K75s here but if you go to Motobrick.com you should find plenty of folks--relatively speaking--who might address your problem....

Larry Johnson
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old Feb 19th, 2017, 8:16 am

If you actually do get it apart, I think you'll find that the bore in the cylinder is trashed. I had a problem with my original rear cylinder on my '85. A new master cylinder cost double what the rebuild kit cost, but it was worth it since the original was pitted and would not have resealed with just a kit.

Frank

'17 R1200RS, 2 yrs. 27,000 mi.
'16 R1200RS, 18 mo. 28,000 mi. (gone)
'03 R1100S Boxer Cup Replika 6/200
'85 K100/1100RS, 34 yrs. 326,000 mi.
'05 R1200ST, 8 yrs. 57,400 mi.-3rd deer killed it.
'11 R1200RT, 2 yrs. 30,000 mi. (gone)
'99 R1100S, 2 yrs. 15,000 mi. (gone)
'96 Ducati 900SS/SP, 12 yrs. (gone)
500,000+ BMW miles
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old Feb 19th, 2017, 2:15 pm Thread Starter
Noob

Garage
Thanks!

1993 BMW K75
1968 Triumph Bonneville
2017 Honda Grom
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old Feb 19th, 2017, 2:16 pm Thread Starter
Noob

Garage
Duckbubbles, I had the feeling that would be the case but was hoping someone would say "this is how I did it and I saved money!" Thanks though!

1993 BMW K75
1968 Triumph Bonneville
2017 Honda Grom
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old Mar 9th, 2017, 10:08 pm
Noob

I concur about the cylinder being pitted if the piston is seized. I have installed a rebuild kit, only to wind up replacing the master cylinder because even after honing the new seals didn't seal in the damaged cylinder. Recently I had a front master cylinder from a 1974 R90/6 bored out and re-sleeved at Apple Hydraulics in New York (Apple Hydraulics). It was only $95 for the work, then I installed the BMW repair kit (new seals and piston). The brakes work great now. It might be worth checking with them. They specifically identified the old airhead MC's for re-sleeving. I'm not sure if they will do it to any MC.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode