K75 purchase - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old Jul 18th, 2017, 3:30 pm Thread Starter
Sci
Noob

K75 purchase

Greetings from Northeast Nebraska. After hearing all the good stuff about a K75, I began looking to buy for one with under 50K miles. To my surprise, one would come up all the time on Craigslist. I have come across many that report fewer than 10k and even under 5K miles. Am I missing something here? How could there be that many 25 year old bikes with that low of miles?
Thanks for reading my first post,
Dan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old Aug 24th, 2017, 10:15 pm
Noob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sci View Post
Greetings from Northeast Nebraska. After hearing all the good stuff about a K75, I began looking to buy for one with under 50K miles. To my surprise, one would come up all the time on Craigslist. I have come across many that report fewer than 10k and even under 5K miles. Am I missing something here? How could there be that many 25 year old bikes with that low of miles?
Thanks for reading my first post,
Dan
Not knocking this site but the best site is motobrick.com for older brick k-bikes. There is a wealth of information on that site.

Even an low mileage K-Bike could have issues with old rubber bits, hoses for fuel lines, crankcase vents, and fuel lines in the tank. The fuel filter may be fouled or not but the retainer can disintegrate. look inside the tank. Figure on an extra $500 to bring all that up to speed. If you have the time and patience to do this yourself you'll grow tired of the bike before you wear it out. The splines could be worn on higher mileage bikes and you really need to lube them every 10K or so. Inspect the rubber brake lines and check the color of the brake fluid.

They are least likely to have worn splines and I'd do all the fluid changes along with the coolant. A low mileage bike is seldom used but a 30-40K bike is likely more maintained and has a lot more miles to go. They can get really high mileage well maintained.

They have a really unique George Jetson flying car kinda sound and make a subtle whining noise but are really smooth riding and ride like it's on a rail.

People either really love them or prefer boxers. They are blistering fast like later model K-Bikes but the sweet spot is 4-5K. You'll always look for 6th gear although it's a 5 speed but it revs high.

In my opinion the style itself has held up over the years. Some people unfamiliar with them seem amazed they are 20+ year old bikes.

Here's my 92 K75S with 40K.

EBC floating disks
Hyperlites
Corbin seat
Bags
Aeroflow Windscreen
ABS (works)
Bar backs
Spiegler Steel Braided brake lines
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1585.JPG
Views:	162
Size:	983.4 KB
ID:	22009  

Last edited by jaxon; Aug 24th, 2017 at 10:25 pm.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old Sep 24th, 2017, 3:36 pm Thread Starter
Sci
Noob

Thanks for the info Jaxon. I ended up buying a '93 K75 with 46K miles but looks almost new.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old Nov 2nd, 2017, 4:39 pm
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaxon View Post
Not knocking this site but the best site is motobrick.com for older brick k-bikes. There is a wealth of information on that site.
I know this is probably off topic but I don't understand why the Motobrick site stops at K1100 bricks - when I was looking for a K100RS or K1100RS I did a lot of research on there and I ended up with a K1200RS but that model seems to be ignored and that's why I end up here - it's at least got a relevant section for the K1200RS and GT's

Cheers

Ian

97 K1200RS "Fixer Upper"
85 GPZ1000RX
85 GPZ600R
89 RG250 Gamma (heart transplant - 350 YPVS Blue smoke std)
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old Nov 14th, 2017, 10:10 pm
Noob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sci View Post
Thanks for the info Jaxon. I ended up buying a '93 K75 with 46K miles but looks almost new.
Good call and good luck. I bought mine with 40K on the clock.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old Nov 14th, 2017, 10:25 pm
Noob

Quote:
Originally Posted by bstardchild View Post
I know this is probably off topic but I don't understand why the Motobrick site stops at K1100 bricks - when I was looking for a K100RS or K1100RS I did a lot of research on there and I ended up with a K1200RS but that model seems to be ignored and that's why I end up here - it's at least got a relevant section for the K1200RS and GT's
I think the old timer "Johnny" at motobrick.com could answer that question. Those K1200's are sweet. I kinda wish I had one, but the garage already has three BMW's stuffed in there. Ergonomics was a part of the design equation. It's a well thought out bike. In my opinion, it's a timeless design and holds it own even today.

I think even my old K75S still has a timeless quality to it visually.

You could say I have a BMW problem.

Last edited by jaxon; Nov 14th, 2017 at 10:30 pm.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old May 19th, 2018, 6:14 pm
Noob

Won't say it's a "problem"...

...but an abundance of joy!
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old May 23rd, 2018, 8:37 am
PsyKotic Waterfowl

The reason Motobrick stops at K1100s is because I'm the person who contributed all of the initial technical stuff and I've only owned K75s, K100s, a K1 and K1100s.

K1200s are very different "next generation" Ks with a telelever front end and covered in Tupperware whereas all of the "Classic" Ks are more old school bikes based on the initial K100 design.

Last edited by FlyingDuck; May 23rd, 2018 at 9:36 am.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old Jun 6th, 2018, 6:39 am
Noob

Hello Friends

Excellent post. I’m actually surprised the use of blogs and wikis isn’t higher.

https://RentalCarsUAE.com

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode