Trouble mounting a radiator cowl (grill/guard/fairing) to my 1993 BMW k75 RT - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old Dec 29th, 2017, 1:51 pm Thread Starter
Noob

Trouble mounting a radiator cowl (grill/guard/fairing) to my 1993 BMW k75 RT

I am currently working on fitting a 1994 BMW K75 radiator cowl to my BMW K75RT ABS for a naked look and don't know where to go from here. I've currently got all the previous fairing removed and the accompanying holds. I'm only centimeters form a perfect fit but it seems like the radiator its self is what is keeping me from finish.

Is the radiator on the K75 RT mounted differently? How do I go about changing that? Can I even change it? Or is there another radiator fairing I should be looking for.
Any usable information appreciated.

This is the cowl/fairing/trim/guard I have.

free image hosting reviews
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Dec 29th, 2017, 4:51 pm
Rookie

a better source...

The folks at motobrick.com might be better able to answer your question....
Old Jan 22nd, 2018, 1:45 pm
Noob

Good afternoon--- The fairing/radiator trim you have is from a K75T and will not fit to your tank in any way. You need to find a radiator trim from a K100 Standard. It is a 3 piece set up that will attach almost perfectly to your gas tank. The other option would be to find a gas tank from a K75T or C model. It is shaped just a little different than the RT tank and has 2 prongs on the front of tank that fit into holders on the top of your radiator cover . Doing the naked thing is great but it is a major pain in the butt to get it done. Almost easier to find a K75 T. Hope you have success in your search. Jim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Apr 19th, 2018, 11:39 am
PsyKotic Waterfowl

K75RTs have a K100 gas tank and radiator. That's because the fairing design is derived from a K100RT/LT. It's also why the radiator hose doesn't go through the crank cover like it does on the other K75 models.

If you want to use a K75C, T(which is really a C variation) or standard cowl then you'll need to replace the tank with a K75 tank (with two prongs as noted in an earlier post) and also swap in a K75 radiator and hoses.

A standard K100 radiator cowl should work with the K75RT tank and radiator but you'll be hard pressed to find one since there weren't too many of those made/sold.

Last edited by FlyingDuck; Apr 19th, 2018 at 11:44 am.
Old Aug 8th, 2019, 11:53 am
Noob

If you replace just the radiator, does the k75 cowl still line up with the k75rt tank, leaving you with just the prongs to sort out? not looking forward to buying a new tank.
Old Today, 8:04 am
PsyKotic Waterfowl

The K75RT tank (which is really a K100 tank) is wider than the K75 standard/C/S tank so not sure if it will line up.

If you do fit a K75 radiator you'll also need to replace the radiator hoses. (Look on ebay for used ones.)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in