K1200LT cruise control won't engage - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old Apr 23rd, 2018, 3:43 pm Thread Starter
Noob

K1200LT cruise control won't engage

The Cruise control on my 2000 K1200LT started kicking out with a harsh bump in road. It was usually immediately deployable again but then it would not engage at all. I went through the test procedure. Everything checked out except the the rear wheel brake pedal switch test. The "SET" light on the dash goes out after 5 seconds of depressing the pedal, but does not come back on after I release the the brake. And the the "SET" light does not go off and on when I spin the rear wheel. It's just off. I could just invest in another micro switch for the rear wheel brake but I feel it's unlikely that this is the problem since the switch works fine for activating the brake lights. Any ideas would be much appreciated. Thanks

Last edited by mountaincur; Apr 24th, 2018 at 2:02 pm. Reason: More info
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old Apr 27th, 2018, 10:34 pm
Rookie

Mine acted the same way. Check the micrswitch at the rear pedal. My switch body rotated very slightly on the screw but it was enough to trip the switch when a bump was hit. I wedged a splinter of wood beteen the switch and the casting so it could no longer rotate and the problem never occurred again.

Good luck, ride safe!

"Cogito ergo zoom!"
Safety comes before speed. - Check the dictionary.

1999 Sportster "S" Cardinal Red
2000 ZRX1100 Jade Green
2003 K1200RS Pacific Metallic Blue
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old Jul 12th, 2018, 11:54 pm
cws

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountaincur View Post
The Cruise control on my 2000 K1200LT started kicking out with a harsh bump in road. It was usually immediately deployable again but then it would not engage at all. I went through the test procedure. Everything checked out except the the rear wheel brake pedal switch test. The "SET" light on the dash goes out after 5 seconds of depressing the pedal, but does not come back on after I release the the brake. And the the "SET" light does not go off and on when I spin the rear wheel. It's just off. I could just invest in another micro switch for the rear wheel brake but I feel it's unlikely that this is the problem since the switch works fine for activating the brake lights. Any ideas would be much appreciated. Thanks
Don't know if you got this sorted or not... but have you tried putting some WD40 or other water dispeller around the switch? If its not disengaging it could just be there's crud in there fouling it. You should hear a distinct "click" when pressing the pedal, and another "click" when it releases... put some spray on there and work it a bit... I know that's fixed similar issue for others when all else passes the test but rear pedal.

Chris
Sydney, NSW
2005 Dark Graphite Metallic K1200LT
2005 Orient Blue Metallic K1200GT SE
Ulysses #45310
GS911

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode