clutch cable 87 K75 non-abs - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old Aug 28th, 2018, 4:34 pm Thread Starter
Noob

clutch cable 87 K75 non-abs

my clutch cable broke on my 87 K75 non-abs, I removed the old cable per instructions I 've fond using tape to connect to new cable and a small amount of Vaseline to smooth the pull, all good, however the cable is too short to reach both the actuator lever and or clutch lever at the transmission. thinking I may need to loosen the transmission arm to get the cable on, not really sure. thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old Sep 1st, 2018, 11:09 am Thread Starter
Noob

Well when I order parts for my 87 K75, through the BMW catalog I seem to have a bit of a problem because of age and changes that have been made to my bike and or manufacturing changes. I ordered an hose from my rear brake fluid reservoir to the master, the hose indicated was about 10 inches, but they moved the reservoir higher to get it out of uv rays, so I had to order a one meter hose and that I will have to cut to fit. then to the point, the clutch cable ordered turned out to be too short, catalog indicated low and medium handle bars, and mine is I would guess medium, the new cable was 1510mm but after pulling the old cable out it was 1625mm so, lesson learned do not presume the parts are correct, investigate length on such things. Any way I solved all the problems with my 87 K75 by buying an 2004 R1150R, and I'm off to pick it up as soon as this rain passes! Will be fixing the K75 this week, and putting it up for sale, I do not enjoy repairing or maintaining myself, just want to ride, any takers on the K75?
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old Sep 2nd, 2018, 3:45 am
Noob

From memory (4 classic Ks over last 25 yrs) ... you need to
- hook / fit lug at hand control
- screw the adjuster at the hand control right in (eg taking up no slack)
- back the transmission arm adj bolt right off (but if you take the bolt right out you'll leak some gear oil)
- thread the new cable through the frame etc and the hole in the gearbox
- fit to gearbox arm
- 'hook up' the cable into the thin-end of the gearbox hole
- give yourself some adjustment range at the handlebars by screwing the adjuster out about 5mm
- screw the adjuster bolt on the gearbox arm **in** until you've got no play at the gearbox, then try the clutch action
- if OK, tighten the locknut on the garbox arm
- fine tune your pull-in placement/range of movement with the fine adjuster on the hand control
- check pull-in point at both left & right lock on the handlebars to make sure nothing is mis-routed

HTH :P

Max

ex 1xK100RT,2xK100RS,K1100RS,R1100GS
now 02 K12RS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old Sep 8th, 2018, 4:45 pm

Garage
Yo jjconeill, There are way better lubrications for cables then Vaseline. Water will wash Vaseline away much easier then legitimate vehicle lubes and Vaseline will congeal into tar when it get's cold. They make purpose made lubrication for that which will be more resistant to water and not get too think in lower temps.

And stay away from WD-40. That stuff is garbage and actually promotes rust.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode