1985 K100RS Odometer/trip meter - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By duckbubbles

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old May 30th, 2019, 10:20 am Thread Starter
Noob

Unhappy 1985 K100RS Odometer/trip meter

Th odometer and trip meter on my 1985K100RS recently stopped working. I have owned this bike since new. Is there anything that I can test/fix/replace to see what the issue is, or does the unit need to be swapped out completely? The speedometer still functions fine. Not like the old days with mechanical units...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old May 30th, 2019, 10:39 am

I would say that one of the plastic gears in the gear-train of the odometer has broken. Try Overseas Speedometer | Speedometer & Odometer Repairs Overseas Speedometers, a shop in Austin, Texas that specializes in European speedos in bikes and cars.

Frank
Beech likes this.

'17 R1200RS, 2 yrs. 27,000 mi.
'16 R1200RS, 18 mo. 28,000 mi. (gone)
'03 R1100S Boxer Cup Replika 6/200
'85 K100/1100RS, 34 yrs. 326,000 mi.
'05 R1200ST, 8 yrs. 57,400 mi.-3rd deer killed it.
'11 R1200RT, 2 yrs. 30,000 mi. (gone)
'99 R1100S, 2 yrs. 15,000 mi. (gone)
'96 Ducati 900SS/SP, 12 yrs. (gone)
500,000+ BMW miles
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old May 30th, 2019, 6:43 pm

If you're handy and patient (and one has to be with BMW bikes) you can fix it yourself.

All the early- to mid-1980s BMWs (cars included) had odometer gears that turned to cheese, you can crumble them between your fingers. I think the lubricant permeated the gears to cause this, but it's water under the bridge.

The solution is to get better gears. Gears aren't expensive and I've gotten mine from odometergears.com and been happy. IIRC they use acetyl copolymer. You didn't need to know that, just tossed it in for amusement. I are engineer. Make sure you know the correct gears to get - this might mean disassembly before ordering. Your bike will run just fine without the cluster, did you look at the speedo anyway?

There is more than one gear in there - from memory there are four (?). Although all might not have crumbled, probably best to do all at once. Disassembly of the cluster is not difficult nor does it require special tools other than the aforementioned patience and a bit of elbow grease. You should seal the glass to the cluster enclosure when you button it up so that if it rains, water won't enter the cluster via the joint between the tow.

How do I know...? Multiple cluster surgeries with my two '85 K100RS bikes, both now gone. A 10 mm combination wrench to remove the cluster, allen wrench (forgot the size), and small screwdriver are needed to disassemble.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old May 31st, 2019, 7:05 am Thread Starter
Noob

Thanks!

Thanks gents, I will take the cluster apart and see what falls out!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode