oil leak near engine transmission housing seal - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By flyingkiwi

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old Jan 18th, 2020, 1:03 pm Thread Starter
Noob

oil leak near engine transmission housing seal

Hello,

In m y1993 K1100RS, I saw some oil near the seam between the engine and the transmission housing. There was oil under the transmission too, but since that could have just dripped down I went to a car wash bay, cleaned everything and left the bike overnight. Now I see that under the transmission I don't see any oil, but there is oil near the seam, but NOT exactly at the seam. On closer inspection it seems to be coming from somewhere above and it looks like it is from the narrow cavity that is in front of the alternator, perhaps from near the bolt inside. What does this mean? Any clues on what should I check next? I am attaching some pictures.

I also notice some gap between the housing and the engine and some nicks at the seam. Perhaps the previous owner did a poor job while repairing something.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6295.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	1.08 MB
ID:	25865   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6296.jpeg
Views:	20
Size:	1.72 MB
ID:	25867   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6297.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	1.17 MB
ID:	25869   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6299.jpeg
Views:	19
Size:	1.56 MB
ID:	25871  

Last edited by 96Ducati900CR; Jan 18th, 2020 at 1:54 pm.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old Jan 18th, 2020, 4:16 pm

I'd guess that nicks at the trans/engine seam are from a PO using a screwdriver to pry the two apart.

Suspects include any seam "upwind" of where you found the oil. The source of the oil may not be where you find it, it may have traveled there while the bike was moving and airflow brought the oil to where you saw it (I don't see any oil in the pictures).

Ancient wisdom is to nicely clean the suspect area and dust it with cornstarch, flour, ground chalk or some other white powder. The oil will quickly reveal its track.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old Feb 17th, 2020, 5:06 am
Enthusiast

Oil at the seam between the engine and transmission is usually an indication the engine output shaft O-ring has failed, and additionally the clutch will likely have started slipping if this is the case. However if the oil is coming from other sources, a likely culprit is the crankcase breather on top of the engine. A thorough clean is in order as Honolulu has suggested, although you will need to remove the throttle bodies to fully investigate as the crankcase breather is a common fail point.
Beech likes this.

2002 K1200RS Owned from new. Pacific Blue of course. Suspended on Ohlins. 183,000kmís
2016 K1300R Black, 6000kmís
The family history
1951 AJS 500 single - my Dads
1916 Triumph Type H, Western front, France WW1 - my Grandads
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old Today, 3:38 am Thread Starter
Noob

Hello. I have now inspected this several times and I am pretty sure that my original description for the leak is accurate. Oil seems to be coming from the pocket near alternator that has a bolt that connects the transmission to engine. The area where the alternator connects the engine is all dry. I will try to post some pictures when I am on the computer. (I am not sure how to attach from an iOS device).

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in