Is this K75 worth it? - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By bmwk75owner
  • 1 Post By safetyflying

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old Apr 8th, 2020, 10:11 pm Thread Starter
Noob

Question Is this K75 worth it?

So first off Iím new to motorcycles. This will be a first bike. But Iíve wanted one for a long time and Iíve always lusted for a beemer. Iíve also really wanted to jump in and learn to work on everything. I wanted to work on cars, but working on bikes seems to be a less intimidating entry into wrenching.

So there is a Ď92 k75 for sell locally. The guy says itís in good condition except for one cylinder is misfiring. Says it runs fine with it unplugged but will misfire when plugged. Heís asking $1,000.

So Iím asking you all more experienced folks with these bikes. Would this be a worthwhile project? Or would I end up having to dump a ton of money into it. Iím not afraid to get dirty and put some work in. Just donít want to go broke getting a bike running 100%. And what would be a fair price to offer?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old Apr 9th, 2020, 8:44 am

I think you should pass on this one and keep looking for a bike that is 100% to start with. You won't pay a whole lot more and you will avoid some potentially serious headaches with this one. With a clean running example you can do a major service if you want to get your feet wet with maintenance and know you have a runner.

Frank

'17 R1200RS, 2 yrs. 31,000 mi.
'16 R1200RS, 18 mo. 28,000 mi. (gone)
'03 R1100S Boxer Cup Replika 6/200
'85 K100/1100RS, 35 yrs. 326,000 mi.
'05 R1200ST, 8 yrs. 57,400 mi.-3rd deer killed it.
'11 R1200RT, 2 yrs. 30,000 mi. (gone)
'99 R1100S, 2 yrs. 15,000 mi. (gone)
'96 Ducati 900SS/SP, 12 yrs. (gone)
500,000+ BMW miles
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old Apr 9th, 2020, 11:34 am Thread Starter
Noob

Okay, thank you for the input. Iíll keep looking. There just arenít a lot of options on BMWs in my local. Didnít want to pass one up if it would be worth it. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old Apr 9th, 2020, 3:17 pm
Enthusiast

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skylor Brumbeloe View Post
Okay, thank you for the input. I’ll keep looking. There just aren’t a lot of options on BMWs in my local. Didn’t want to pass one up if it would be worth it. Thanks!
Where are you located? Here's a few older K bikes - http://marketplace.bmwmoa.org/classi...browse-95.aspx

2009 K1300 GT
1984 Kawasaki ZX750-E1 Turbo
1990 Kawasaki ZX600R
2005 R1200 RT - gone
2008 Honda CBR1000 RR - gone
2004 Honda CBR600RR - gone

post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old Apr 15th, 2020, 6:23 pm
Noob

I owned a K75S for years, they are great bikes but expensive to maintain, hard to find parts, and not easy to work on. It's an amazing bike but I agree with the other poster that this wouldn't make a very good first bike.

BMW does make a model called the G310R.... it's a little single cylinder beginner bike, highly recommend it! My dad just bought one for $4,400 out the door (had $1000 rebate due to being an older floor model). Still cheap though.
cruss likes this.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old Apr 15th, 2020, 8:35 pm
Noob

Garage
BMW's are wonderful motorcycles. I've had my 2008 K1200S for six years. It's fast, it's fun and it's relatively easy to work on. The support system here at K-Bikes.com is great for just about any question. YouTube will also teach you how to do any regular maintenance that might be needed.
All that said, don't be foolish and buy your forever bike as your first. Find an inexpensive second-hand ~400cc motorcycle and learn how to ride. Your first bike will be dropped multiple times. And on the second day you might knock it over a little less. Take a beginners riding course. There is one in your area and the instructors are wonderful. They will even provide a motorcycle for you to use (drop) for the day.
After a year and a few thousand miles, pass on your beginner bike to the next person ready to try something fun. It will be time to step up to something with more power, creature comforts and better range.
Getting a bigger bike as a first bike is a recipe for disaster. Getting a basket case is a recipe for frustration.
Also, get and always wear the gear (helmet, jacket, gloves, boots and pants). Don't be a squid.
cruss likes this.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old Apr 17th, 2020, 8:09 pm
Noob

I have returned to biking after ~ 35 years away (11 years of riding experience before time off for career, kids, etc.). I had worked my way up from a 175cc to my last bike which was 650cc. I just purchased a 1995 K75RT from a distant relative with a little more than 30k miles. Dealer serviced throughout the 10 years he ran it, After 15 years in a barn, dealer re-serviced it and pronounced it fit (though I changed out the tires due to age). After taking a certified rider safety training course and spending every day for the last month on the bike I feel I am ~ 85% back to where I was. Hopefully I will be even more comfortable than I was when I last rode regularly (1983) by this summer when I hope to take some longer excursions to the west coast (from Oklahoma).

Others taking the riding safety course with me had never been on a motorcycle before, and the course served them very well. I strongly recommend it for anyone entering or re-entering biking. Even the best "defensive" automobile drivers do not actively consider escape routes when pulling up to a stop sign! I also concur with BMWk75owner's thoughts on entering the sport on a smaller scale. Ditto comments about riding safety apparel.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode