K75 fuel pump fuse blowing... - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old Sep 5th, 2006, 5:52 pm Thread Starter

K75 fuel pump fuse blowing...

Iíve got a problem with my 1995 K75 ABS.
My fuel pump fuse is blowing when I hit the starter. The starter runs and engine turns over but it doesnít start. If I donít hit the starter, the fuse is fine, but blows immediately (or shortly after) the starter is pressed.
I have tried unplugging the lead going to the tank (fuel gauge and fuel pump), and the fuse remains ok when I hit the starter, but of course the engine doesnít start as the fuel pump is unplugged. I have tried unplugging the gear box switch (electrically upstream of the fuel pump) and the fuse remains ok when I hit the starter, but the engine doesnít start and I canít hear the fuel pump running.

I unhooked the battery, opened the tank connection and took some resistance readings across the wires.

There are four wires in the tank connection on the K75:

Green / White Stripe (G) - goes to the fuse panel
Brown (B) - goes to the gear box switch then to the gear indicator and a bunch of other stuff
White (W) - goes to the fuel indicator light
Yellow (Y) - goes to something that Clymer calls the "Plug Connection, Additional Instruments"

Harness side to Ground
G - 250 ohms
B - 0 ohms
W - 1M ohms
Y - /

Harness side to battery (+)
G - 150K ohms
B - 150K ohms
W - 1M ohms
Y - /

Tank side to Ground
G - 2M ohms
B - 2M ohms
W - /
Y - 2M ohms

Tank side:
G - B - 2 ohms
G - W - /
G - Y - 1M ohms
B - W - /
B - Y - 1M ohms
W - Y - /

My suspicion is that the fuel pump if powered between the Green / White Stripe (+) and Brown (-) wires. Should the fuel pump present more then a 2 ohms impedance?
Has anyone experienced something like this before?
Does this mean my fuel pump is shot? How can I test it?
Am I barking up the wrong tree?

Any help will be appreciated...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old Sep 5th, 2006, 6:14 pm
Looking for better limits...

What's the fuse size? 2 ohms, 13 volts, 6.5 amps. I don't know what the draw is for the fuel pump, but fuses are generally 2◊ the expected current draw.

Also, for what it's worth, the starter button on the K75 will cause the mixture to be a tad richer while the button is pressed. Thing is, I'm not sure how that's accomplished. Also, does it run if you bump-start it?

Not much help, though...

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

Ray
2010 K1300GT Royal Blue
2003 K1200GT Orient Blue (for sale)
2007 G650 X-Challenge

IBA #34158

Be a K-Bikes Supporter

I work for Keyser SŲze

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode