BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

Passenger comfort

8K views 17 replies 16 participants last post by  GAV_12 
#1 ·
Still trying to figure which bike I want.......K12S, K12GT, or R12RT. One of the factors I should consider is passenger comfort. The latter two bikes seem to offer good partection from the elements for the passenger. How does the K12S rate? Being a sportbike, one usually doesn't concern one's self too much with a passenger. But if it happens to offer good comfort then maybe that just might swing me to the K12S.

#2 ·
Passenger comfort was a concern of mine as well, that is why I almost bought a Buell XB9, I figured if it was so uncomfortable, she would not want to ride on the back, learn to ride and get her own bike. Then I’d have a riding partner that I could have some ‘fun’ with ;) She now has room on the back of my KR, not the most plush back, but she tags along for the ride…darn it :D

#3 ·
Pax comfort on the S

I've had my S for almost a year now and my wife who has been riding the pillion for 43 years and rides with me 99% of the time says it's fine.

The one thing she has mentioned more than once is the fact that this machine requires more attentiveness. Additionally, she finds herself having to hold on with more than just her knees as on past machines.

But she loves the rush.

#4 ·
My wife didn't love the rush... when she dang near fell off.

We rode our two bikes to the shop, dropped hers and rode two-up to get home.

I was maneuvering through traffic and accidentally gunned it a little too much.

The next thing I know, I'm seeing boots fly up around my waist. Fortunately we did not end up testing out her leathers and Arai :)

Seriously, if she were to pillion on a regular basis I'd have to put on a backrest.

I'm blessed with a wife who loves speed but also love to ride her own.

#5 ·
Nope, mine said Nope

Hiya,
Seriously wanted an S, watched all the media pre release, had myself sold even before I saw one in the flesh, blah blah blah.
Finally one available in oz to test ride. We had a 93K1100RS at the time.
My cook didnt like the S at all. It was probably my riding, cause I was there to enjoy the test as well, but she didn't like it. (she is a seasoned traveller, always pillion)
The story for me is
"Wife happy, Life happy", so we continued to look and eventually brought a 12mth old 04K1200RS, she loves it and so do I...

Nothing against the S here, cause I loved it, though I had some concerns as to how I was going to fund the speeding fines :D :D

Good luck

#6 ·
My wife like my current '03 GT more than any other bike I've had. I recently took her to the local shop and we looked at the 'S'. Well, I looked at it. I believe her comment was "No way in hell am I riding on that thing". Too much forward lean for her I guess. Anyway, we also rode an R1200RT while in San Francisco and she loved it. The seat was good for her but sucked for me (just like every other BMW seat). With either a Stealth backrest or the top case my wife would have been in heaven.

#7 ·
Coastie said:
Passenger comfort was a concern of mine as well, that is why I almost bought a Buell XB9, I figured if it was so uncomfortable, she would not want to ride on the back, learn to ride and get her own bike. Then I’d have a riding partner that I could have some ‘fun’ with ;) She now has room on the back of my KR, not the most plush back, but she tags along for the ride…darn it :D
That's exactly what I hoped would happen when I traded my K1200RS for an Aprilia RSV1000R Factory!!!

Of course it didn't! :confused: It just meant my wife didn't ride with me anymore! :(

Now I have a K1200S which she has ridden but we need a peg lowering kit next season as her legs are still a little cramped (she's 171 cm tall - about 5 ft 7ins). She loved the K1200RS and still hasn't forgiven me!

#9 ·
Shaka.. When the Walls Fell

My wife hated the ergos of the S from day one.. we tried everything.. peg lowering kits in different lengths... a criminally expensive Corbin seat .. both the stock and lower factory seat. Nothing worked.. We gave up and she's never gonna ride on the S again. I've already removed BOTH rear peg carriers for a 100% solo bike..

We're looking for an alternative two-up only bike as we speak... In this respect.. the S falls short of the old RS or GT..

#10 ·
Pirate said:
My wife hated the ergos of the S from day one.. we tried everything.. peg lowering kits in different lengths... a criminally expensive Corbin seat .. both the stock and lower factory seat. Nothing worked.. We gave up and she's never gonna ride on the S again. I've already removed BOTH rear peg carriers for a 100% solo bike..

We're looking for an alternative two-up only bike as we speak... In this respect.. the S falls short of the old RS or GT..
The old RS was in many ways the perfect two up sports-touring bike! If only it had been a little lighter and a had little quicker steering!

I think the new K1200GT is really the replacement for the K1200RS and as such is the one that comparisons should be made with. The new K1200S is a new bike which is much more sports-focused. Hopefully it is comfortable enough so that most of our spouses will be willing to ride along but not so plush as to lose the sports focus.

If I had limitless funds and could afford two bikes I would be tempted to buy a GT and an R, or maybe a GT and a new R1200S!

#11 ·
my girlfriend was very comfortable riding on the "S" but for me it was a living hell and far worse than riding two up on my KRS. my girlfriend would slide forward pushing me down and into the gas tank which made my privates very uncomfortable. it also put my head to far forward and the airflow over the windscreen would push my head from side to side. very, very uncomfortable ride for me when my SO was riding with me. with that said many folks seem to find the "S" very comfortable to ride two up.

#12 ·
Yeah, I'm convinced........the S is not an option if having a honey on the back for any length of time is important to me. I really don't like lugging someone around for K12S type riding anyway. If I decide that most of my miles till come in the form of multi-hundred miles journeys the the S is definitely out and the GT or RT is in.

So, step one......find a slim-bottomed babe.
Step two....head out of town.

If step one cannot be found to my satiafaction, buy a K12S

#13 ·
For what it's worth...

I bought my "S" after the wife rode on the back and gave me her approval. She thought the suspension and handling of the bike was far superior to any other motorcycle she has been on the back of... and there have been quite a few.

Last July, we rode from Sacramento to Monterey & back for the Moto GP (congrats, Nicky!). Because the panniers are only big enough to fit a pair of shoes on each side, we shipped our clothes down and back, which was just fine. We made the trip, but it was a little on the tiring side after the first 100 miles.

She now calls the "S" the second-best 2-up bike. The '03 GT still has 1st place there for her.

I personally don't like riding 2-up on the S. She has all but forgotten how to put her hands on the back of the tank to keep her from slamming into me during braking. She now lets my nuts do that job. I give a little blip of the throttle and she sits back into her set. Couldn't do that on the GT...

So is the S a good bike to ride 2-up? IMHO, YES, it is and with the ESA, you can make the bike handle nearly the same as solo. BUT you will have the nominal penalties that accompany 2-up riding.

CHEERS!

#15 ·
My wife finally gave in and agreed our son is now big enough to go on rides with me, so I'm looking for a bike with a better back seat than the one I've now got (A Speed Triple- not known for it's luxurious accommodations).
By some irony, I sold my RT a few years ago because now we've got a kid, my wife and I don't go on two-up rides any more (yes, I know there's a marriage joke in there somewhere...).
Anyhow, I want to stick with a naked bike, and so I'm strongly considering rejoining the BMW fold and buying a K12R.
Any feedback on how it's be for an eight-year old pillion? If there are backrests available that'd be a plus...
I plan on taking out a demo bike sometime in the next week or so to evaluate it, but input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks a lot.

miles

#18 ·
We test rode the K1200R and my wife hated it. We then tried the K1200s and she said OK.

She often comments on how much more comfortable she is on the K12S than she ever was on the FJR1300 that preceded it. She thinks its the best bike we've had so who am I to argue?

:clap:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.