City Lid for 2006 K1200GT panniers? - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old Oct 2nd, 2007, 12:59 pm Thread Starter
Just saying hey

City Lid for 2006 K1200GT panniers?

This is probably old news but, I saw a set of city lids on the panniers on a 2007 R1200RT, at the dealership. Their mounting is similar to the older style lids. Fernando didn't know who the aftermarket company was that made them. I can't seem to find them on the internet, either. But, I'm desparate to narrow this bike and keep the panniers.

Does anyone here know who manufactures these?

Thanks in advance!

Thumper

"I Don't Want a Pickle"

http://www.thumpers-brithouse.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old Oct 2nd, 2007, 4:40 pm
Addict-oholic

There was a thread either here or on the i-bmw site about some french company that was making them, but the person who ordered them said that they were not very sturdy and only came in black, so they must be painted, also quite expensive. I was going to order a set until I heard that they were flimsy.

Larry
Deep Blue 2009 K1300GT
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old Oct 2nd, 2007, 6:58 pm Thread Starter
Just saying hey

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrykay
There was a thread either here or on the i-bmw site about some french company that was making them, but the person who ordered them said that they were not very sturdy and only came in black, so they must be painted, also quite expensive. I was going to order a set until I heard that they were flimsy.

Yes, I've seen them. They are flimsy and black. And they are rather ugly, as well. At this point, I don't care.

Recently, I found my beautiful GT, on it's side in a grocery store parking lot. The cosmetic damage to that fine German painted fairing (2), pannier covers (2), mirror, bar end, front fork and a broken pia light was a whopping $3540.45. And it looks like the bike was just tipped over, with only the force of it's own weight causing the really minor damage.

Insurance paid for all but my $500.00 deductable.

I HATE the GT for that reason. You just can't drop it without an outrageous repair cost. My RT was fine. I had the engine guard and maybe, just maybe the mirror would clip off and hit the ground. The bile fell over several times on shaky ground on it's center stand, fully loaded, with little or no damage.

The BMW made city covers, on my old (and missed) 2002 R1150RT, had broken once, as well.

So what's the difference between "flimsy" and outrageously expensive? I think they will work fine, especially with the custom, carbon fiber frame sliders I am having installed with the cosmetic repairs.

So, I really don't care about the apparent flimsyness of the city covers. They'll hold. And, on a long or extended trip, I'd use the stock lids. I wouldn't care much about painting the black covers, either. I'd leave 'em black. Less to paint (and try to match), on a tip over.

So if you can get me the information on the distributor, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks

Thumper

"I Don't Want a Pickle"

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old Nov 6th, 2007, 2:28 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumper
I think they will work fine, especially with the custom, carbon fiber frame sliders I am having installed

Thanks
Could you post some info on those frame sliders?
Thanks
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old Nov 6th, 2007, 7:53 pm
Addict-oholic

I found this over at I-BMW
http://www.i-bmw.com/showthread.php?...ight=city+lids

Larry
Deep Blue 2009 K1300GT
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old Nov 7th, 2007, 11:03 am Thread Starter
Just saying hey

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by 727cpt
Could you post some info on those frame sliders?
Thanks

Not yet, It hasn't worked out so far. We are still trying to sort them out. Also, the frame sliders we considered installing are too short. Plus, the fairing has to be cut to make room for the sliders. That's scary considering how much the panels cost.

Thumper

"I Don't Want a Pickle"

post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old Nov 9th, 2007, 11:57 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumper
This is probably old news but, I saw a set of city lids on the panniers on a 2007 R1200RT, at the dealership. Their mounting is similar to the older style lids. Fernando didn't know who the aftermarket company was that made them. I can't seem to find them on the internet, either. But, I'm desparate to narrow this bike and keep the panniers.

Does anyone here know who manufactures these?

Thanks in advance!
Thumper,
Is this what you were looking for:
http://www.i-bmw.com/showthread.php?t=11287

Regards

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode