2nd accessory plug direct to battery? - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old Apr 16th, 2008, 7:14 pm Thread Starter
Would rather be riding

2nd accessory plug direct to battery?

I'm thinking about skipping the relay entirely and adding a 2nd accessory plug wired straight to the battery, with an inline fuse of course. I realize if I leave a heated vest or a big power consumer plugged into this with the bike off it'll drain my battery.

However, I'm hoping to use it to provide power to recharge e.g. my cell phone and bluetooth headset overnight while camping. ...it's inconvenient or impossible to recharge these while riding (maybe not the cell phone so much), and I figure the current draw for these will be so small I'll have no battery problems leaving them on overnight.

I suppose it's mainly because of laziness -- it'll be easier to make a BMW -> Cigarette Lighter adapter and plug it in the few times I'll need it than to try to make or buy anything fancier, e.g. a tank bag with power.

Has anyone else done it this way? Ever drained your battery because of it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old Apr 16th, 2008, 8:19 pm
Sooper Dooper Moderator

I had my dealer do that to mine, and I love it. I have to admit, I've never used it to recharge stuff over night, so I don't have the kind of experience to answer your question directly... But it's darn handy to have. I use a little 12v air pump to air up my tires once in a while, and it's neat to be able to just plug it in without having to mess with the ignition.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old Jun 2nd, 2008, 11:31 am
Noob

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonafidebob
I'm thinking about skipping the relay entirely and adding a 2nd accessory plug wired straight to the battery, with an inline fuse of course. I realize if I leave a heated vest or a big power consumer plugged into this with the bike off it'll drain my battery.

However, I'm hoping to use it to provide power to recharge e.g. my cell phone and bluetooth headset overnight while camping. ...it's inconvenient or impossible to recharge these while riding (maybe not the cell phone so much), and I figure the current draw for these will be so small I'll have no battery problems leaving them on overnight.

I suppose it's mainly because of laziness -- it'll be easier to make a BMW -> Cigarette Lighter adapter and plug it in the few times I'll need it than to try to make or buy anything fancier, e.g. a tank bag with power.

Has anyone else done it this way? Ever drained your battery because of it?
Why not just use one of the accessory plugs that have two outlets?? Couple of different ones available...

DUAL ACCESSORY PLUG ADAPTER AND CABLE
http://www.ascycles.com/detail.aspx?ID=44933
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old Jun 2nd, 2008, 9:25 pm
Addict-oholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeineK100RS
Why not just use one of the accessory plugs that have two outlets?? Couple of different ones available...

DUAL ACCESSORY PLUG ADAPTER AND CABLE
http://www.ascycles.com/detail.aspx?ID=44933
The problem is this dual adapter still goes to the Canbus outlet. A 2nd accessory outlet has to be wired direct to the battery with a fuse and maybe even a switch.

Larry
Deep Blue 2009 K1300GT
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old Jun 3rd, 2008, 12:39 am
Noob

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrykay
The problem is this dual adapter still goes to the Canbus outlet. A 2nd accessory outlet has to be wired direct to the battery with a fuse and maybe even a switch.
Aha, I gotcha - misread your post on what you were trying to do...
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old Jun 3rd, 2008, 7:03 am

I realize the OP is from several weeks ago, but for anyone considering a direct-to-battery plug, I recommend Powerlet products. I installed one of these so I could plug in a battery charger without the need to do the Canbus dance. On the GT, there is a "knock out" on the panel just below the stock accesory plug that will accomodate the Powerlet, and installation is very easy.

Bud
2006 K1200GT - Graphite
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old Jun 3rd, 2008, 12:06 pm Thread Starter
Would rather be riding

Useful info

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeineK100RS
Aha, I gotcha - misread your post on what you were trying to do...
Actually, I posted another thread on getting accessory power for cig lighter adapters into my smuggler trunk.

I think what I'm going to end up doing is something like the Powerlet, going straight to the battery unswitched for the 2nd accessory outlet on the side of the bike. And then a canbus powered accessory outlet from under the seat into the smuggler. Maybe I'll just mount a BMW outlet right to the smuggler wall, and get something like this cord to then plug in my cell phone and ipod chargers. That way everything is nicely removable.

Thanks for all the tips. I'll probably take some of the tupperware off when I install the autocom, which will provide a convenient opportunity to also do the accessory wiring. I ordered one of the shop CDs from ebay as well, it'll be nice to know where BMW says all this stuff should go.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old Dec 16th, 2008, 4:43 pm
Addict

Does any tupperware need to be removed to wire an accessory plug direct to the Battery, or can it be fished behind the panel without removing it?

MOA Member #106320
2003 R1150RT Titan Silver
2008 K1200GT Dark Graphite
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old Dec 16th, 2008, 4:58 pm Thread Starter
Would rather be riding

I'm not sure if it's strictly necessary, but I took off the left side panel, it made it a lot easier to route the wires and attach them. If I ever get serious and take the tank off I'll probably re-route them to go along the frame, but for now they're fine taped and velcro'd between the tank and the side panel. ...well, and of course you'll need to remove the battery cover to get to the battery.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old Dec 16th, 2008, 9:58 pm
Strafist

Just be sure to do it where the bike can be serviced without removing wires. Adds to your shop time and pisses off the tech.

-=grif=-
What was that middle thang?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode