Installing headlight modulator - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old Nov 23rd, 2005, 3:01 pm Thread Starter

Question Installing headlight modulator

I'm sure someone here has successfully installed a Kisan Pathblazer modulator on a GT. If you did, were you able to just plug it in or did you have to splice or tap into the wiring harness?

Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old Dec 13th, 2005, 1:04 am
Enthusiast

Sorry I didn't see your thread sooner. Yup. It's pretty much plug and play (I have a 2004, and it is easier/necessary to remove some of the tupperware and take out the headlight to see what you are doing). Be advised, that I (and others) have had some trouble with the ground wire. May or may not have anything to do with the modulator, as there has apparently been a service bulletin indicating that the ground wire is insufficient and should probably be replaced. You might consider doing that. If your ground wire fries, you will have no beam, hi or lo until you fix it. Not fun trying to get home with no light, trust me. Cheers.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old Dec 13th, 2005, 9:03 pm Thread Starter

Follow-up questions

Thanks for the info, Fast Johnny.

So, I think you're saying the Pathblazer simply plugged in without cutting, but you had to plug it in inside the headlight shell, and you removed the headlight assembly to get a better look and access. Is that right?

Thanks again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old Dec 13th, 2005, 9:16 pm
Enthusiast

Thumbs up

Pretty much. Actually, what you do is make an access hole in the dust cover or somewhere (I just drilled a small hole in the dust cover) and run the male and female from the modulator unit through there. Then you simply plug the male from the hi beam into the female of the modulator and the male from the modulator into where the other guy used to be, etc. You will run the ground wire from the modulator to the frame (I put mine on the center bolt of the headlamp). The unit is outside of the dust cover and can be zip-tied if you want. Then you run the sensor eye to a place that pleases you and you are in business. They send along good and easy instructions if mine aren't clear (Huh?). I recommend sealing aroung the wire hole with silicone just to keep moisture out. Once again, be aware that your ground wire might need to be replaced with a more substantial one. Good luck and let us know how it works out. Cheers.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old Dec 13th, 2005, 9:50 pm Thread Starter

Thumbs up

Your installation instructions are much more helpful than Kisan's, Fast Johnny.

Thanks.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old Dec 13th, 2005, 11:12 pm
Enthusiast

On my KRS I only removed the front and left-side fairing to do the install. The headlight stayed in place. Since the RS doesn't have the GT's motor that adjusts the windshield height I may have had more room to work. I removed the headlight wires from the wiring block on the back of the headlight and plugged them into the Kisan. Ran the Kisan ground wire to the frame.

Bill

'04 K1200RS Alpine White/Orient Blue
'05 R1200GS Red
'07 KTM 950 Super Enduro
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old Dec 17th, 2005, 12:51 pm
Enthusiast

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by detour
Your installation instructions are much more helpful than Kisan's, Fast Johnny.

Thanks.

Go figure! My pleasure. Cheers.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode