Heated Seat problem - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old Nov 27th, 2005, 12:28 am Thread Starter
Noob

Question Heated Seat problem

Last time I rode the bike with the heated seat in High Temp. setting, it seemed to get very hot and actually caused a small indentation in the forward part of the seat. Riding the bike this weekend the High Temp. setting did not work at all, but the Low Temp. setting worked.

Has anyone experienced the same problem. Do I need to replace the seat?

Thanks,

K1200RS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old Nov 27th, 2005, 7:57 am
Enthusiast

I don't know if there are 2 separate elements or one element with a control for high and low setting. If it got too hot you would think there is some kind of resistor in the circuit to limit the current. Maybe it's shot. You should look at a wiring diagram. If you don't have one I think there was a link on the old i-bmw.com site.

David Littlefield
Clute, TX
09 K1300S
70 Commando
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old Jan 20th, 2006, 9:23 am

If you read the owners manual...the two dot setting on the foward control switch is for 'rapid' warm up only. It's not recommened that you use this setting for riding as it may par boil your prostrate!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old Jan 20th, 2006, 10:10 am

Don't know the wiring for the seat, but two-position switches usually control two heating elements - one on for low, another for high or both for high. Sometimes it's done another way - series for low and parallel for high - but I doubt that considering what happened.

My guess is that one circuit shorted and this caused the very hot spot first then caused that circuit to overheat enough and melt something (resulting in an open circuit). That would account for it working on low now (one circuit is still OK) but not high (one circuit is open). If the switch were a parallel/series control, the low setting would not work if one element was open but the high would work but produce less heat than normal.

Should be a warranty issue since this isn't a "wear item" and I don't see how you could be responsible, unless there is some other physical damage to the seat.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old Mar 20th, 2006, 4:45 pm
Enthusiast

Heated Seat Problem

I'm have a heated seat On my '03 RS. It's my third one! Each one has failed after running for a long time on the high setting. So, with the latest one, I've ben very careful not to use the high setting any longer than it takes to feel the heat, then moving the switch to low.

BMW does say something to the effect that the high setting is for brief periods, but doesn't say how long that might be. If yours got hot with the "very hot" with the switch in the low or off position, I'd have to suspect the switch.

Incidentally, there are two heating elements, sharing a common ground. They are powered directly from the switch (via a fuse).

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode