Stebel Nautilus Not functioning - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old Aug 31st, 2008, 2:18 pm Thread Starter
Noob

Question Stebel Nautilus Not functioning

Hi folks,

First thread since I purchased my '04 K12rs 4 months ago.....just got back from BMW dealership who did my 12,000 mi. service and installed a Stebel Nautilus. The horn worked 3 times before it just died! I looked at all the connections and they look intact. Any words of advice? Has this happened to you??

Thanks

AL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old Aug 31st, 2008, 10:30 pm
Enthusiast

Fuse? I had problems with my relay, it kept blowing. I realized the way it was oriented, it collected water. Once positioned properly, I've had no problems since.

Brent Boshart
10 R1200GS ADV (his)
09 K1300S Light Grey (hers)
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old Sep 1st, 2008, 12:44 am
Enthusiast

Trace the wiring from switch to air compressor and see where you have power and where you don't. Agree, first check fuses, connections and try to jumper power right to the compressor to see if it has seized or if it works properly. Keep us abreast...

Gary
2007 K1200GT
Dark Graphite Grey
New Jersey-Don't Laugh!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old Sep 1st, 2008, 10:25 pm Thread Starter
Noob

Stebel

Thanks, Will do and keep you posted, Hurricane coming this way, not much riding going on. What a great source of info, great site!!

Thanks Again,

AL
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old Sep 2nd, 2008, 11:05 am
Riding in company

Al, the Nautilus draws a lot of current. For that reason, most use the horn circuit to trigger a relay which then brings power to the horn through nice fat wires. Perhaps your dealer didn't do that..perhaps he just bolted the Nautilus on and hooked up your stock wiring. You'd think that the dealers would always do things the best way, but they don't. Check your fuses; you may well have blown the fuse.

The Nautilus is a great horn and you're gonna love it. But get big wires to it. It has been mentioned on these forums that restricting the amount of current available to the horn (like by sticking with relatively small gauge wire) may decrease its loudness. Then there's the water thing, too, but you don't hear so much about it. Good luck.

BillA
Jersey Shore
K1200RS '04
BSA Victor '68ish
Club Car golf cart '92
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old Sep 6th, 2008, 11:16 am Thread Starter
Noob

Hi,

Checked all of above. Direct to horn 12 V and horn works fine. Fuse is solid and intact. Attached voltmeter and no current is getting to the horn wires. Has to be between the fuse box and horn. Any further reccs?? May have to drive it 1.5 hours back to dealer.

AL

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode