Stebel Magnum Horn Review and Sound Byte - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old Jan 7th, 2006, 3:15 pm Thread Starter
Veteran

Cool Stebel Magnum Horn Review and Sound Byte

Like every other motorcycle Iíve ever owned, one of the first things I replace on a bike is the cheesy factory horn. I am convinced itís one of the most important accessories (and most overlooked) you can add to a bike. The Fiammís I ran on my 98 RS saved my life on at least 3 occasions.. Nuff said..

Unlike the RS, my new S has very little room under the plastic for dual Fiamms. Weíve been selling the hell out of them to S guys but now that Iíve gotten in there I honestly donít know how these guys are doing it without David Copperfield-like magic.

After about 40 minutes of fruitless brainstorming, I gave up trying to figure out where to place TWO horns and instead, bought myself one of the new Stebel Magnum horns. While I bought mine out of Germany the package says itís manufactured in Italy. Whatever.. Unlike the dual tone Fiamms, the Magnum is a single horn with a claimed 136dB that just bolts directly to where the factory horn is located. Easy enough.

Just got mine installed and thought Iíd share my opinion. First.. the install was relatively easy. Took about an hour. As the plastic is already off my bike for painting, timing was perfect. First I had to unclip the motronic box(?) just opposite the factory horn and move that out of the way. I removed the one bolt that holds the factory horn on then unplugged it. The Magnum bolted back to the same spot using a furnished bracket. I had to drill out the hole just a bit to make it easier to bolt on. One thing I should note. The Magnum is twice the size of the factory horn so you install it from below or above to get it into place. There are only two wires coming off the factory horn which after some splicing connects directly to the Magnum.

Check out my feeble video for a cheesy sound byte. I didnít even try to make this look professional nor scientific .. just did it to give you an idea of the difference.. FYI.. I set up the camera exactly 6ft from the horns. Turn your speakers up a bit and youíll get an idea. One of these links should work...

http://piratesK12site.net/Magnum1.wmv
or
http://www.piratesK12site.net/Magnum1.wmv

Personally.. I wasnít very impressed. Yes.. it is louder and deeper than stock but I donít think itís 136dB and I wonder if an SUV will discern the difference before taking my lane. Perhaps I was expecting too much. Amber came down into the shop and she thinks the Magnum is substantially louder.. and as her ears havenít been ruined by years of seriously loud rock music or 20+ years of riding motorcycles without earplugs like mine, her opinion is probably more valid. There are quite a few frequencies that I just donít hear any more. Overall, Iíd guess the loudness is about right in between the factory horn and a good pair of Fiamms.. I could be wrong.
Iíll withhold further comment until I try the horn side-by-side with another S. Do I feel safer? Perhaps a little...

Jerry D. Finley ("Danger" is my middle name)
"I speed, therefore I am. "

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old Jan 9th, 2006, 10:22 am
Riding in company

Jerry, is that thing louder, the same, or less loud than the Nautilus?

BillA
Jersey Shore
K1200RS '04
BSA Victor '68ish
Club Car golf cart '92
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old Jan 9th, 2006, 10:43 am

My twin Fiamm Hiway Blasters make that horn sound like a 'skeeter fart! Nothing like the hi/lo 136 decibel blast to wake someone up. Is there really no way to add two horns to the S? I may have to hold off trading in my RS then...

'04 K12RS Zebra
Custom Built Airhead: "R110S"
and an idea for a /2 cruiser
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old Jan 9th, 2006, 11:40 am
Enthusiast

Yer Killin' Me...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bostewart
Is there really no way to add two horns to the S? I may have to hold off trading in my RS then...

Honest, your not gonna get an S because of the horn??? WOW! Maybe one of those little squeeze bulb horns would attach to the handlebars to make you happy....
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old Jan 9th, 2006, 2:40 pm
Just saying hey

Stebel Nautilus

The Stebel Magnum is an electro-magnetic horn that produces 132db. The Stebel Nautilus is an air horn and is the loudest horn on market at 139db. According to the literature the decibal range for the two horns is very different:

Nautilus - 530 to 680Hz

Magnum - 410 to 500Hz

The Nautilus is clearly the horn of choice.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old Jan 9th, 2006, 3:06 pm Thread Starter
Veteran

Excuse me while I opine..

While the Nautilus is louder than the Magnum.. it's still not as loud as a good pair of Fiamms which rate at 143dB.. and install should be a lot harder for the air horn as it's bigger and a relay is (according to their website) necessary... I wonder as the bike already has a built in relay to the horn.

The Stebel Magnum is a simple bolt on accessory. 2 wires and it bolts to the same spot as the factory horn without a relay... it's also smaller than the Nautilus which is a big deal on the S. I have only 1/8" clearance between the forks and my horn.. Don't think I could get the Nautilus in there as easily without some Astroglide and a few drinks.

Magnum is 85mm x 90mm x 60mm
Nautilus is 150mm x 111mm x 95mm

Before I'd attempt dual Fiamms on the S.. I'd try either the Magnum or the Nautilus. Either way you'll be safer... Mongo say.. "Safety good."

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodland142
The Stebel Magnum is an electro-magnetic horn that produces 132db. The Stebel Nautilus is an air horn and is the loudest horn on market at 139db. According to the literature the decibal range for the two horns is very different:

Nautilus - 530 to 680Hz

Magnum - 410 to 500Hz

The Nautilus is clearly the horn of choice.

post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old Jan 9th, 2006, 3:18 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loggiebone
Honest, your not gonna get an S because of the horn??? WOW! Maybe one of those little squeeze bulb horns would attach to the handlebars to make you happy....

Yessir it would!

'04 K12RS Zebra
Custom Built Airhead: "R110S"
and an idea for a /2 cruiser
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old Jan 9th, 2006, 4:19 pm
ROCKET RED

Exclamation Possible Warning !!.......

For some reason......and I am not a computer wizard, but when I hit the linc (1st one) listed on the "sound byte" for this 1st and original post, after watching it and closing it, my computer did a complete "shutdown" and froze. It produced a screen (full) I have never seen. The only way to restart was to completely shut down my surge protector strip, and wait to re-start. Just thought I would let you know. I know Mr. Pirate had nothing to do with it, or his computer, but boy, it was strange. Hey Pirate, you been in the Bermuda Triangle lately?. HA.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old Jan 9th, 2006, 5:48 pm
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pirate
While the Nautilus is louder than the Magnum.. it's still not as loud as a good pair of Fiamms which rate at 143dB.. and install should be a lot harder for the air horn as it's bigger and a relay is (according to their website) necessary... I wonder as the bike already has a built in relay to the horn.
The Nautilus draws up to 18A, I'm not sure the stock relay can handle that? What pair of Fiamms rate at 143dB? If I understand dB correctly, the volume is double for every 3dB. That means a pair of horns producing 143dB total would have to be 140dB each???

Brent Boshart
10 R1200GS ADV (his)
09 K1300S Light Grey (hers)
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old Jan 9th, 2006, 6:31 pm Thread Starter
Veteran

I usually don't do this as I try to keep all biz separate from my hang out place (I walk a fine line at times..), but you asked...

There are apparently quite a few model Fiamms on the market. When we decided to sell horns a few years ago a fellow K12'er who had access to a professional sound studio got a few different versions of Fiamms and a few other brands ( I think) together and tested them.. Hard to remember details but the ones we decided to carry he rated at 143db.. the loudest of the bunch... Of course.. that number don't mean jack to me as I don't know technical.. All I know is they are painfully loud and come standard on BMW cars and mine saved my life on at least 3 occasions..

oh.. and 1200GTosprey.. Nope.. haven't been in the Triangle lately.. No clue what's happening to you.. You doing drugs?

Quote:
Originally Posted by brentboshart
The Nautilus draws up to 18A, I'm not sure the stock relay can handle that? What pair of Fiamms rate at 143dB? If I understand dB correctly, the volume is double for every 3dB. That means a pair of horns producing 143dB total would have to be 140dB each???

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode