Rhinewest Chip/Cam Sprockets - Road Test!!! - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old Jan 12th, 2006, 7:32 pm Thread Starter
Enthusiast

Rhinewest Chip/Cam Sprockets - Road Test!!!

Luck would have it, my Rhinewest Chips/Cam sprockets kit arrived this week and the weather is mild. Installation was straightforward and it was time for a road test. I have the advantage of having two K1200RSs in the garage so I could do a good "real life" side by side test instead of trying to figure out what the dyno chart really means. With both our bikes stock, we did various tests, roll-on from 60-80-mph top gear, roll on from 30 mph in 3rd gear and both bikes were always dead even.

So, I got the kit installed and out we went for a comparo. The difference is DRAMATIC! First test, was 60mph/6th gear roll-on, the rhinewest mod bike easily jumped ahead and by 80mph was 30-40ft ahead!! 3rd gear/30 mph roll-on same results, clearly, significantly faster.

As soon as I let the clutch out, I knew there was a big difference, pulls very strong right at the start. Another pleasant surprise, is the smoothness. I thought the bike was smooth before but now vibration is nil. Gone is the slight buzz around 70-75mph when rolling off the throttle. The engine just feels different, more responsive.

I'm very pleased with this mod, well worth the money. Now... my wife is going to want one for her bike. My "gixxer buddy" who helped me with the mod is nervous.....

Brent Boshart
10 R1200GS ADV (his)
09 K1300S Light Grey (hers)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old Jan 13th, 2006, 8:22 am
Addict

How many hours did it take? And did you need anything else or was the kit complete? Gaskets and such I mean.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old Jan 13th, 2006, 8:45 am
Throttle Jockey

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old Jan 13th, 2006, 9:22 am Thread Starter
Enthusiast

The kit is complete. Only thing you might not have on hand is a special "tamper-proof" torx bit/wrench to open the computer module. You also need some silicone to re-seal the computer cover and rtv sealant when putting the valve cover back on.

Not sure how long it took, maybe 2hrs?? Fuel tank comes off to get at the computer. The sprocket exchange was easier than I thought. You have to be careful not to screw up the timing, I was really paranoid about that! When I put on the second sprocket (intake), I had to turn the camshaft ever so slightly for the key to drop in place on the sprocket (ie the new timing). The kit comes with excellent instructions.

With the gas tank and valve cover off, you might want to replace the air filter/fuel filter and check your valve clearances at the same time.

Again, I was really pleased with the difference, exceeded my expectations for sure.

Brent Boshart
10 R1200GS ADV (his)
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old Jan 20th, 2006, 10:11 am
Enthusiast

Question

Is your exhaust stock? I've read that the kit is only useful if you're running stock exhaust. I already have the chip and would be interested in the cam gears if I can use them with TwoBros exhaust / Jet Hot coated.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old Jan 20th, 2006, 10:37 am Thread Starter
Enthusiast

I have a stock exhaust. It requires the stock setup.

Brent Boshart
10 R1200GS ADV (his)
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old Feb 2nd, 2006, 12:03 pm
Addict

Cam Kit

Hey Thanks,
This is on my list of goodies for this year. Since I'm getting a Uni-Go for hauling, I wanted more GRUNT! Not worried about top end. I watched a tech. at the Beemer Rally, in Lima, last year change the chip. He told me if you take your time and lift the cover slowly, the seal will not tear. Did the seal tear for you? Thanks Again
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old Feb 2nd, 2006, 3:45 pm Thread Starter
Enthusiast

It tore slightly in a couple spots but no big deal, I just 'wetted' it with some new silicone around the whole seal anyway for good measure.

Brent Boshart
10 R1200GS ADV (his)
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old Apr 23rd, 2007, 6:44 pm
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by brentboshart
Luck would have it, my Rhinewest Chips/Cam sprockets kit arrived this week and the weather is mild. Installation was straightforward and it was time for a road test. I have the advantage of having two K1200RSs in the garage so I could do a good "real life" side by side test instead of trying to figure out what the dyno chart really means. With both our bikes stock, we did various tests, roll-on from 60-80-mph top gear, roll on from 30 mph in 3rd gear and both bikes were always dead even.

So, I got the kit installed and out we went for a comparo. The difference is DRAMATIC! First test, was 60mph/6th gear roll-on, the rhinewest mod bike easily jumped ahead and by 80mph was 30-40ft ahead!! 3rd gear/30 mph roll-on same results, clearly, significantly faster.

As soon as I let the clutch out, I knew there was a big difference, pulls very strong right at the start. Another pleasant surprise, is the smoothness. I thought the bike was smooth before but now vibration is nil. Gone is the slight buzz around 70-75mph when rolling off the throttle. The engine just feels different, more responsive.

I'm very pleased with this mod, well worth the money. Now... my wife is going to want one for her bike. My "gixxer buddy" who helped me with the mod is nervous.....
Brent: I just rode my '97 K12RS for the first time, this past weekend, after having done the same mod through its winter layup and couldn't agree more with your appraisal of the results! Well worth the money is right!

Glen MacDonald
Hampton, Ontario

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode