Large Sport Softbag 2 - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old Mar 20th, 2013, 7:43 pm Thread Starter
Sooper Dooper Moderator

Large Sport Softbag 2

I saw one of these for the first time at my local dealership today. I like it, and I think the next time I'm taking a long trip I may buy one. Does anyone have any experience with this thing?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old Mar 23rd, 2013, 7:53 pm
Addict-oholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckwilmot
I saw one of these for the first time at my local dealership today. I like it, and I think the next time I'm taking a long trip I may buy one. Does anyone have any experience with this thing?
I bought one last year for a 2 week trip. Held all my gear, clothing without a problem. It fastens very well to the rear rack. EZ on and off every night. It is waterproof. I went through a lot of downpours.

Larry
Deep Blue 2009 K1300GT
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old Mar 24th, 2013, 11:29 am Thread Starter
Sooper Dooper Moderator

Thanks Larry, that's helpful. I just wanted to confirm that it's a worthwhile piece of gear before I spend my hard earned. That will be first on my list the next time I'm going on a multi-day trip.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old Mar 26th, 2013, 4:50 pm

my experience

Hey Chuck,

Just a quick note to tell you that I bought from a member of this forum what I thought was the very same thing but wasn't. I know this may seem like a simple issue but my sport softbag was billed as being for a K12s but was intended for use on a GS. The bag itself is well made and worth the bucks but is a PITA to mount properly. Anyway, make sure what you're buying is for YOUR model bike because there is a distinct difference between the two softbags.

ride safe

Regards,
Randy
'02 RT nacht black
'05 Ducati ST3 black
'06 K12S bumble bee
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old Mar 26th, 2013, 5:43 pm Thread Starter
Sooper Dooper Moderator

Huuhhh... that's interesting. The one I'm talking about looked like more of a generic made to fit any luggage rack rather than just one. I took the one off the shelf at my local dealership and walked outside to my bike. It looked like it fit... that is, the underside depression seemed like it was a good footprint over my rack, although I was a little confused about how the straps work. But that's good to know, and I'll be sure and ask that question before I buy one and walk out the door.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old Mar 26th, 2013, 9:14 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckwilmot
........ It looked like it fit... that is, the underside depression seemed like it was a good footprint over my rack, although I was a little confused about how the straps work.......
Yep, that's the one I got. The bag has a hard under pan that's intended for the GS. The soft bag you want, when viewed on end, is almost a perfect circle sans any, ANY hardness to it.

This is what I have:
What I don't like about it is that the ends cover up the lock and handle mechanism of the K1200S' factory luggage when mounted on the rear portion of the seat. It also crowds the rider in the sense that your back is in contact with the bag. That means a sweaty back and the constant feeling that your seating area is crowded.

This is what I wish I'd bought:

Regards,
Randy
'02 RT nacht black
'05 Ducati ST3 black
'06 K12S bumble bee
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old Mar 26th, 2013, 9:30 pm

Forgot about this photo

Oooops, I forgot about this application. Here's bag #2 mounted on my RT. I LOVE this configuration but have to tell you that messing with the mounting straps is a hassle. Once you get the correct length straps at each corner it works out well on a bike with a large seating area.

Bag #2 holds a lot of stuff and is extremely well made but in my humble opinion it just doesn't translate to the K12s as well as it does the R model bikes.

Regards,
Randy
'02 RT nacht black
'05 Ducati ST3 black
'06 K12S bumble bee
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old Mar 27th, 2013, 10:59 am
Addict-oholic

Mine fits perfectly. The pocket in the bottom of the bag slips over the back of the rack. Yes, the 4 tie down straps are a pia until you get the right combo. I used the ones marked "s" to tie to my grab bars and to the openings in the back of the tail rack. Never shifted once. The bottom of the bag is stiffend to lay flat on the rack and the ends fit perfectly at the sides of the rack.

Larry
Deep Blue 2009 K1300GT
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old Mar 27th, 2013, 12:45 pm
Enthusiast

The Large BMW softbag 2 (With the under depression) is in fact designed to fit pretty much all late model BMW's, the exception in fact being the little 650GS, but, and this is the bit I cant remember clearly, for certain bikes you cant use the Large Softbag with panniers at the same time, or at least BMW say you cant. The installation Notes that come with the bag list all the models it will fit and how and where.

Im thinking of getting one as I don't ride with pillions and I reckon with a Top Box and that bag on the seat, Ill have loads of carrying space without having to have the barn doors sticking out either side stopping me filtering.

I also like the fact that as the bag attaches from the base you can get at all your kit without having to undo any bungees or the like. I use an Ortlieb Roll bag at present which is great and waterproof but a nightmare if you want to get at anything at the side of the road.

Tim
------------------

2011 K1300GT
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old Mar 27th, 2013, 7:46 pm Thread Starter
Sooper Dooper Moderator

Well, this has been interesting and it's exactly the sort of discussion I was hoping for. I have the big BMW roll bag pictured (Softbag 1?), and I like it, but as noted, it's a little harder to get into when everything is lashed into place and zipped up. It's good for heavy clothes and coats and things which you don't need to get at during the day. I lash it to the back seat when I'm on trips. Still, I have a need for something like the big 49L top case when I'm on trips, but I didn't want to pay the price. The Softbag 2 will fill that need, I think. I can put it on the rack, and the Softbag 1 on the seat, and have plenty of storage.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode