Stebel Compact Air-Horn ???'s - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old Feb 23rd, 2006, 5:09 pm Thread Starter
JMc

Question Stebel Compact Air-Horn ???'s

I have copied the bracket from the www.skene.org/K1200RS website but I'm not an electrical wizzard, so here's the problem and question...
I bought the horn and it comes with zip, nada, nothing in the way of instructions. I have a horn, a relay, a nut, a bolt, a bracket thingamaijigy, and a vent looking wopperjopper. I have no problem mounting the horn but wiring it may be a bit of a problem. Do I need the relay, and what's with the numbers (see image); my relay actually has two 87's. Thanks for any help,
JMc
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	hornrelay.gif
Views:	72
Size:	10.2 KB
ID:	1829  

JMc
1998 K1200RS "Taxi"
[email protected]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old Feb 23rd, 2006, 7:58 pm

You will need the relay.
Look at the relay (forget the center pin) you have 2 sets of pins. If you drew a cross. Each line of the cross would connect a set of pins. See the set where the pins are facing the same direction (this is not the pair with #87 in it) this pair is the control side. Connect the horn button wires(one to each pin) Now when you pres the horn button the relay should click. The other 2 pins (includes 87 and does not face in the same direction as each other) are the switched power pair. Connect one pin to the battery with a wire containing an inline fuse very close to the battery. Connect the other pin to the positive + side of the stebel. Conncet the other side of the Stebel to ground. You now have a very loud horn.

The directions stebel provided showed they did not expect long life if you mount it the way you suggested. They prefer the silver cylinder up and down. Like a beer can on a table. I went to the hardware store and got a slightly shorter bolt. It mounts well in the stock bracket.

Write me if your having troubles.
JD
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old Feb 23rd, 2006, 10:57 pm
Enthusiast

Nicely done, JD. I installed a Stebel on my '04 KGT and since it supposedly has a relay, I just plugged in. No problems and damn loud. I used a peice of aluminum stock the same thickness and width as the original horn stock, but longer and put two opposing bends in it to move the horn back a little and snug to the fairing so it would better clear the forks. Also, good call on the vertical placement. I believe the mini-compressor in there is meant to operate better in that position as well. I am guessing it would be louder if I connect direct to the battery and use the relay. Your thoughts. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old Feb 24th, 2006, 11:32 am Thread Starter
JMc

Thanks guys...that helps a lot. I have heard of others unplugging the stock horn, plugging in the Stebel and going with the stock relay. But like you say, there may be a db loss with this setup. Do I just leave the old relay? Again, thanks for your guidance.

JMc
1998 K1200RS "Taxi"
[email protected]
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old Mar 12th, 2006, 4:07 pm

Fast johnny,
I've got the same bike (04 GT), figured the stock relay was good enough, wired the Stebel directly in, but I'm blowing fuses. Did you put a larger fuse in, mine is currently (no pun) 10 amps.
Please advise.
Ray

Ray
04 GT
BBG1500
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old Mar 12th, 2006, 5:37 pm
Enthusiast

The stock relay is probably okay but it was the stock wiring that I was concerned about, namely a wiring loom fire - expensive! Probably unlikely as its just a short blast of current. Not knowing, I did not want to take a chance and wired back to the battery with 12 gauge wire for minimal voltage drop and maximum noise!

Brent Boshart
10 R1200GS ADV (his)
09 K1300S Light Grey (hers)
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old Mar 12th, 2006, 10:07 pm
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY1200GT
Fast johnny,
I've got the same bike (04 GT), figured the stock relay was good enough, wired the Stebel directly in, but I'm blowing fuses. Did you put a larger fuse in, mine is currently (no pun) 10 amps.
Please advise.
Ray
Hey there,

I did put an inline fuse in but I have not had any problems with the stock wiring. Let me say that I am not very knowledgeable about this stuff, so I defer to those that are. One thing I do know that is not adviseable is to put a larger fuse in the stock fuse fitting. Maybe some of the electically wise will chime in. Cheers.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode