piaa 100x question - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old Mar 11th, 2006, 1:42 pm Thread Starter

piaa 100x question

Quick question.
I am researching putting a set of 1100x lights in the cowl on my 04 k12RS. Can I use the automotive set or does it have to be the powersport set with the special wiring harness? Also, has anyone fabricated their own mounting bracket? Anyone have a photo of the bracket?
Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old Mar 11th, 2006, 2:00 pm
Enthusiast

Wink re: Piaa 1100 lights, harness and mounts

If you do a search there are some who when the route of fabricating their own mounting hardware, others used toggle switch for lights and others yet used autoswitch. Depends on what you want to do.

My preference was for the autoswitch with piaa's, happy with the setup, utilizes the turn cancel button to activate\deactivate the lights. I like it for it's convenience and designed as waterproof setup.

03K12RS
:wtf Joel Callan :wtf
Milwaukee, WI 53222

Homepage
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old Mar 11th, 2006, 4:09 pm
Statmaster

Sean and Laureen who run Cyclegadgets have a kit for the K1200RS

http://www.cyclegadgets.com/Products...S&kit=PIA74125

They sell the PIAAs and mounting bracket as a kit, and they also just sell the brackets. When mine were installed, the mechanic put in an automotive relay instead of using the PIAA relay, because the PIAA relay didn't last that long. I also had mine set up through the "expensive" European style BMW switch instead of using the PIAA switch.

Become a Supporting Member of K-Bikes.com
'04 Sprint RS Caspian Blue
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old Mar 11th, 2006, 6:11 pm

The EzyMount bracket and PIAA 1100x is what I use. I bought them from cyclegadgets at a rally, but you can get them from their website at www.cyclegadgets.com
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old Mar 11th, 2006, 8:17 pm

Piaa's .......

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtull01
Quick question.
I am researching putting a set of 1100x lights in the cowl on my 04 k12RS. Can I use the automotive set or does it have to be the powersport set with the special wiring harness? Also, has anyone fabricated their own mounting bracket? Anyone have a photo of the bracket?
Thanks
Check your private mail. Plus, some of my previous posts. The "Powersports" model is no different then a regular. It only means the switch that comes with the kit is more waterproof. These kits are designed for automobile use, the wiring is all waterproof, although it may be longer and you would have to shorten leads. WOW. The "kits" that are sold have the mounting brackets (I made mine from scrap aluminum) and I used the "AutoSwitch" (from Cyclegadgets.com) . I am looking for blueprints on bracket's.
Will post. Had my bike out today for first time this season, lights are BRIGHT, and my new horns are LOUD. Woke up two cages today with them. 136 decibels.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old Mar 11th, 2006, 9:04 pm

Talking Back Again..........

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtull01
Quick question.
Thanks
Never fear.........RedHawK is here..........
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG00010.JPG
Views:	87
Size:	35.9 KB
ID:	1944   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG00025.JPG
Views:	81
Size:	49.6 KB
ID:	1946   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG00027.JPG
Views:	60
Size:	24.4 KB
ID:	1947  
Attached Images

post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old Apr 17th, 2006, 12:30 pm

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedHawK12GT
The "Powersports" model is no different then a regular. It only means the switch that comes with the kit is more waterproof. These kits are designed for automobile use, the wiring is all waterproof, although it may be longer and you would have to shorten leads.
__________________________________________________ __________________

The PowerSports kits are in-fact different. The PowerSports Light foot/mounting base is different on the PIAA 1100PX light. The change in the light foot/mounting base places the mounting hole in a different location relative to the center axis of the light body. These kits were designed for the PowerSports market, Motorcycles & ATV's., thus the brackets found in the kits were designed for each bike to be compatable for the Powersports lights. The improvement of the waterproof switch and change in wiring configuration, as you noted is also different. If you doubt my information call PIAA in Beaverton, OR.

The main reason I posted this reponse, was to provide cautionary information relative to the change in the light foot/mounting base. This change means that PowerSports lights are only compatable with the PowerSports brackets found in their kits. Use of PowerSports lights on our orginal Ezy-Mount bracket kits cannot be recommended due to the change in the light foot/mounting base configuration.. The Original designs were developed for the automotive light kits. (Those that have the 2-piece plastic foot/mounting base)

Jim Lawson
00 K1200LTC
Ezy-Mount Products
Auxiliary Light Mounting Solutions
www.ezymount.com

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode