Green light trigger thingy... - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old Apr 22nd, 2006, 4:59 pm Thread Starter

Green light trigger thingy...

Anyone use the "green light trigger" things I've seen advertised around motorcycle retail sites? A magnet or something that tricks the traffic light into thinking a car is there? I'm interested and I guess they are cheap enough to buy even if it didn't work. I was also wondering where some of you that have one (if any of you do) hid the thing and how you mounted it. I'm sure it would come with instructions on mounting and all but I'm up in the air as to wether it would be worth it. I guess the first ticket I got for running a red light would make it worth it huh? I searched the forums and have seen nothing about these thingamajiggers....Just curious if I'm wasting my time even thinking about getting one...Thanks.

"flying through hyper-space ain't like dustin' crops boy"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old Apr 22nd, 2006, 6:21 pm

Green Light Trigger

Howdy! I have one zip tied to the cross member on my center stand. I am not entirely sure I get more green lights than before. I find I still have to wait a cycle (light) or two that is unless the usual cage pulls up to inspect my tailpipe and my LED taillight or if I happen to run the light, which has been known to happen. For the money, it isn't that expensive and may give you piece of mind. Does it work..... Hmmmm, I still don't know....

Keep the shiny side up!
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old Apr 22nd, 2006, 7:47 pm
Addict

I have one on my RS, and it definitely works. I have it mounted on the center stand. I bought one for my S, but don't have the center stand, so I am going to zip-tie it to the swingarm in front of the wheel. There are lights close to my house that will absolutely not cycle when I'm riding the S without the Green Light Trigger. But riding the RS with it, they cycle with no problem. I have also found that on some of the newer roads, the sensors in the street seem to be more sensitive, and will cycle the lights without the Green Light Trigger.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old Apr 23rd, 2006, 2:35 am

Try this

I done some research on this issue a couple of years ago and the following is what I came up with.
Patrick Fitzharris.

Be seen by traffic sensors
Many riders are often frustrated by traffic light sensors that fail to detect the presence of a motorcycle. TEAM OREGON instructor Patrick Fitzharris recently contacted Mark Rodgers, the manager of the Traffic Signal Services Unit of ODOT. Rodgers offered some insight into how vehicle sensors work and how riders can help themselves be more "sensor visible." Here is an excerpt of Rodger's response:

As a fellow motorcyclist, I understand the frustration of not getting detected by the traffic signal when I am riding my bike. Please allow me this short lesson to show how a traffic signal senses motor vehicles. Hopefully you can better exploit the sensors by understanding how they work.

A vehicle sensor, typically referred to as a "loop", is simply a coil of
wire embedded into the road surface. An electronic module in the traffic signal control cabinet sends a signal to the loop, which causes it to behave as a metal detector. Any mass of metal that passes over the loop causes a shift in the electrical signal. When the shift is great enough, the module tells the computer that a vehicle is present. The key point here is that the mass of metal must be large enough to overcome a threshold, or minimum metal mass. All metal objects greater than the threshold will be detected.

One other factor of the loop is called geometry. Oregon uses one of two loop configurations, a round loop and a diamond shaped loop. Invisible lines of magnetic force form at right angles to the wire. Maximum sensitivity results from metal masses moving perpendicular to the lines of force, so that as many lines are cut through as possible. In either type of loop, this zone lies about halfway between the center line of the loop and the left or right edge of the loop. If you stop over a loop, I recommend that you place your bike so that the lowest part of the frame is directly over the wire. Do not stop in the middle of the loop, as there is a dead zone inthe middle.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old Apr 23rd, 2006, 9:33 am
Addict

I wonder if a few pieces of aluminum foil glued to the inside of the tupperware would give you more mass for the sensors?
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old Apr 23rd, 2006, 2:07 pm

I picked one up online at this place. I haven't installed it yet but will give a report in a week or so when I test the sucker out.

www.greenlightstuff.com
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old Jul 31st, 2006, 7:30 pm
Sooper Dooper Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by drizzyboy
Anyone use the "green light trigger" things I've seen advertised around motorcycle retail sites? A magnet or something that tricks the traffic light into thinking a car is there? ....Just curious if I'm wasting my time even thinking about getting one...Thanks.
I have TWO of the things glued to the inside of the belly pan on my RS. I still have trouble getting a few lights on my work commute to trip for me at 2:00AM when there are no cars around to do it for me. Just my own personal opinion, but I don't think they work.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old Aug 1st, 2006, 3:01 pm
Enthusiast

Try crossing the triggers like this:

His and Hers K1200S'
His: <strike>'05 Indigo Blue</strike>
Hers: '06 Granite Gray
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old Aug 1st, 2006, 3:39 pm
"DELIVERS"

It's a gimmick...

Surf around....you'll find that those magnets do NOT work!

'04 GT...Orient Blue...Staintune...Ohlins...Power Commander

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode