which saddle? - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old May 16th, 2006, 6:42 pm Thread Starter

which saddle?

OK, looking for a saddle for my K1200RS. I've got it narrowed down to either sargeant or Corbin. From what I've read, Corbin seems to be love or hate. I am tall and well-fat too. The stock seat isn't too bad and I like the idea of being able to move around on the seat to get some comfort. It seems that the Corbin allows for a larger seat area versus the sargent. I'd like to hear comments from folks who own these seats. I didn't include the Russell day long as I don't want to spend that much and I don't want a "tractor" looking seat.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old May 16th, 2006, 7:11 pm
no power in the 'verse can stop me

Sargent.

no contest.

tim-----still on the right side of the frostline

you can't stop the signal
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old May 16th, 2006, 10:22 pm
It janitor

Rick Mayer!

If you want a saddle that is built to YOUR butt, YOUR weight, YOUR riding position. If you want a COTS saddle use Sargent or Bill Mayer.

I'm on my second now, and I literally had Rick make me a saddle on the second day of ownership of the new bike.

Andreas Pleschutznig
Houston, TX
'10 F800GS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old May 17th, 2006, 12:44 am

Thumbs up agreed but....

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy
Rick Mayer!

If you want a saddle that is built to YOUR butt, YOUR weight, YOUR riding position. If you want a COTS saddle use Sargent or Bill Mayer.

I'm on my second now, and I literally had Rick make me a saddle on the second day of ownership of the new bike.
I have a Rick Mayer seat as well and am quite pleased. It came with the bike when I bought it used, and I was unsure wether I was going to keep it or not. I've had both sargent and corbin on other non BMW bikes and was pleased with both over the stock setup 100%. If the RS I bought hadn't "come" with an aftermarket seat already you can bet you bottom dollar the seat would have been the first and best modification I'd have made to the new to me bike, or any bike I buy for that matter. Of all the bikes I've owned...without doubt....the best thing I did was get custom saddles. As good as BMWs' seat is.....it really pales in comparison to a handmade seat. As I implied before..... with no prior personal experience with the RM seat, I gave it a shot with the intention of selling it had it been a poor match for my arse. I read up on RM before I picked the bike up and was impressed with the fact that he stood behind his product to the point of "refitting" it to anyone that bought one of his seats "whenever" they bought it (for a small fee of course!). The cost of having it custom fit to your bottom being roughly a quarter to a third of a brand new seat. With that said...remember that he is based in Cali...which is good if you live there! Not so good for me on the east coast. I guess I was lucky it was comfortable right from the get go...If you live in cali (or close enough to get to his shop) I have read he will fix your seat up while you wait...other wise.....you wait and hope it comes back right! First real ride on the Rick Mayer was a 700 mile ride (second day of ownership)....coulda kept goin too...Highly recommend him....first rate product there.

"flying through hyper-space ain't like dustin' crops boy"
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old Jun 23rd, 2006, 8:47 pm Thread Starter

Corbin

I ended up getting a Corbin. I did this after talking to another K1200RS owner (on this board) who also has the Corbin. It took approximately 3 weeks to get the saddle-I told them my weight and how tall I am. I noticed that the pan is stamped "tall". The workmanship looks great and on the one short ride I've taken, it feels great. One of the immediate differences is that I don't feel as though I am being thrown into the tank. I was warned that I needed to tell Corbin to shap the seat so that this would not happen-I forgot to do this, but apparently they listen to their customers. It is a bit taller and the seating area feels "longer" than the stock. Corbin tells customers to allow for a 2000 mile breakin period. Initially, I couldn't get the seat to engage with the lock but a quick call to Corbin's customer service and I had it installed-I know there have been some complaints about their service in the past, but I couldn't be happier. Their service was quick, the saddle looks and feels great, and every contact I've had with them has been both professional and courteous.

Last edited by Ranchonodinero; Jun 23rd, 2006 at 8:48 pm. Reason: type

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode