Helmet visors...tinted - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old Aug 20th, 2006, 4:29 pm Thread Starter
Addict

Helmet visors...tinted

I have the scorpion helmet that has the ability to swap out the stock, clear face shield with a tinted one. I'm on my 2nd one now and need a 3rd. The first tinted visor was the first helmet/visor I ever had and so I used paper towels and some dirty water to clean the bugs off it. That left some visible scarring to the tint and the visor needed to be replaced.

The 2nd visor I cleaned only with Plexus and an old t-shirt. The bugs on a 1700 mile trip took their toll and this visor is now scratched pretty too. The clerk at the store where I bought it says use a microfiber cloth and spit to clean the visor. :p

I'm wondering if it's worth the $34.00 to have the tinted visor or should I just suck up the pain of wearing sunglasses 'neath the clear visor and save my money for tires?

Your experiences/advice?

Gravity
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old Aug 20th, 2006, 4:39 pm
no power in the 'verse can stop me

What you need is Novus plastic clean and shine.

Novus sells two or three grades of plastic cleaner. The Clean
and Shine is grade # 1.

the heavier grades are for deeper scratches.

Use it with a good quality towel. spray it on, let it sit for a few
seconds to re-hydrate the dead bugs, and wipe it off.

I've been using this stuff for years, nothing else comes close to as good
as this stuff.

tim-----still on the right side of the frostline

you can't stop the signal
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old Aug 20th, 2006, 4:52 pm

I have a Shoei RF1000 with a tinted visor. I use a soft wax and constantly keep a good coat of wax on my shield. I've been using the same visor for over two years with no scratches. I also carry my helmet bag in my tank bag and protect the visor when I'm stopped. Most scratches come from handling the helmet and not riding the bike. I have always waxed my visors. There is no discoloration to the plastic ever.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old Aug 20th, 2006, 6:53 pm
Veteran

I too have a Shoei RF-1000 with a light smoke shield. It is the first tinted shield I have used on the street. For me it's the best thing(in daylight) since sliced bread. I use a clear shield at night and when very overcast along with amber sunglasses. I got a neat visor carrying case that snaps around your waist like a fanny pack at Cycle Gear for $19.00. For me it's a lot better than trying to pack an extra visor in your luggage. I have always cleaned them with plain water and a tee shirt for drying.

Bruce C
'04 K1200RS Capri Blue(totaled)
2008 Triumph Sprint ST
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old Aug 20th, 2006, 7:11 pm
Veteran

Arai tinted shield. I usually get 2 yrs or so out of one before it gets to scratched. Plexius and a soft towel. On the road I have a small bottle of Meguires quick detail that I use with a little towel. The trick is to not let the little buggers build up too much.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old Oct 24th, 2006, 12:41 pm

The novus with a good quality towel is a good suggestion. Other than that I actually do two things.

If I have room I carry a clear visor to switch on my HJC when the sun sets. I keep it in a shield sleeve to keep it from being scratched. I prefer the tinted screen as long as I can because it keeps my face cooler by blocking out the sun.

If I'm at a pinch for space I just put a Sunblocker on my clear screen. It works great for keeping the sun out of the eyes but I still get rosey cheeks from the sunshine.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old Oct 24th, 2006, 1:29 pm

Tinted Visor

Not sure if this is the proper care but I use RainX on my visor and the bugs seem to be easier to remove.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old Oct 24th, 2006, 3:32 pm
Just saying hey

Or....................

..... buy a Schuberth which has an internal sun visor which simply flips down when you need it and back up when you don't. Being inside the main visor you wont have problems with dirt or bugs and it rarely needs cleaning at all.
I've used my Schuberth for a few years now and wouldn't be without it.
OK the Schuberth lids are expensive but they are VERY good.

Caburg also do a flip down sun visor type helmet at about half the cost but the quality isn't that good.

Personally I don't think it's worth skimping on head protection ...... Treat yourself to a Schuberth

Cheers
Stu

Jaguar S Type 3.0l V6
K1200S ABS ESA 2006

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode