Corbin's crappy service - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old Sep 19th, 2006, 12:31 am Thread Starter
Enthusiast

Corbin's crappy service

I bought the Corbin seats, backrest and smuggler. Could not get the smuggler to fit right and the rear seat took about 20 mins of wrestling to get it to go on. I decided to take the smuggler into A&S Cycles for fitting.

On the offramp to A&S I hit a pothole and the smuggler bounced off, destroying the surfaces and paint. A&S could not fit the parts.

Since Corbin's factory is only about 150 miles away, I decided to ride over there and take in the smuggler for fitting and repair. It took them 3 hours of working on the set-up including removing the seat cover and trimming the foam on the front seat before they could get the smuggler to latch properly. They kept the smuggler for a couple weeks to repair the damage caused by the bounce off.

The point is that the products they made were sold as K1200R parts and were suppose to fit my K1200R but they didn't. I had to ride 150 miles each way, spend the night and wait 2 weeks to get it to fit properly. On top of that they said they would charge $200 to reapair the smuggler even though it was their fault it didn't fit in the first place, they implied they "may" waive the cost, they would speak to mgmt.

I gave them my CC numbers, they didn't charge me $200, they charged me $235 Needless to say I am pissed, would never buy another Corbin product and would not recommend them.

It's a shame they do not understand CUSTOMER SERVICE because I do like the parts. I get a lot of other riders asking about the parts but I tell my story and they don't buy, I could have been an good advocate/sales person for Corbin, but I feel cheated.

If Corbin reads this, please refund my money for repairing your defective parts!!! PM me for details.

Ed
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old Sep 19th, 2006, 7:46 am
Enthusiast

After reading all the horror stories about Corbin I would never buy a seat from them. I'm surprised anyone does. Sorry to hear of your troubles.

'03 K1200GT

post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old Sep 19th, 2006, 8:33 am
Veteran

Angry Corbin Sucks!

It's becoming more and more evident that Corbin's quality control is getting worse and worse and worse as time goes on. Someday when they can't give a seat away, they will wonder what went so wrong.

I personally think you need to be calling your Visa card company and filing a complaint ASAP. Let them fight for you. I'll bet you get your money back. This sounds like an open and shut case to me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old Sep 20th, 2006, 2:13 am

Angry Corbin problems

I had been in the motorcycle accessory business since 1970 and got out around 84. Back in the early days Corbin made and sold seats under the name Corbin/Gentry. Mostly for choppers and customs.

Then he became "Corbin". My personal experience with his products and the experience of numerous other dealers and customers is usually the same. His products are marginal many times and the customer service "sucks big time".

I don't understand how a company with such a bad reputation continues to sell to a supposedly "internet" informed customer base. Perhaps some just don't believe the bad reviews and horror stories or maybe they just don't do their research.

Corbin spends a lot of money on advertising including "Speed TV" and maybe people just believe his hype. How unfortunate.

Having had personal dealings with Mike Corbin over a seat that I bought for my own bike which was such a lousy fit that you could slip your hand between the seat and the tool box at the rear, I can say, it was no picnic.

I too rode out to his factory from Colorado. At first everything was wonderful until I rejected his on the spot "fix". He lambasted me for buying from a "discounter" (Bob's BMW), making his laborers redo work again (he pointed out their low wages and that they were losing money on the seat) and then became infuriated when I pointed out that they had cracked the hand grab on the seat and wanted them to make good on it. Things got real tense.

This all occured after buying the seat in January so I would have plenty of time for a planned ride in May. Sending the seat back twice for fitting. Not getting it as promised in a timely manner and finally having to go to the factory as the rally was the 49er rally not too far away.

I could go on and on about other people's misfortunate dealings with Corbin, but there isn't enough space. Let's just say if Corbin was the only seat manufacturer in the motorcycle world, I would be riding on a gunnysack filled with foam instead.

I know I sound like I'm ranting (I am) but I've kept quite about Corbin for a long time and seen others who have been abused and mistreated. I only hope that before someone ponies up good $$$$ for a Corbin product, they think twice.

The sad thing is, a lot of his product ideas are great, it's the follow through and execution that fall short.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old Sep 20th, 2006, 6:02 am
Enthusiast

FYI - I purchased a "second-hand" Corbin seat for my bike and the seat is very nice. Like the style, comfort and quality. I didn't have to adjust a thing to put it on my bike. Thanks Belga1976 (Nicolas)!

Possibly the only good Corbin seat is one that is used? If the original purchaser could get the fit for the bike then it's OK to purchase a Corbin.

03K12RS
:wtf Joel Callan :wtf
Milwaukee, WI 53222

Homepage
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old Dec 14th, 2007, 1:25 am

Got a Corbin seat for my KR. Feels great, BUT... Front part goes on OK, the rear is not matching the front part, so it needs a good push to get in place. The gap between the front and rear is such that you have put a finger through. I expected something better for that money.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old Apr 20th, 2008, 8:03 am
Noob

I have a corbin seat on my harely, road king custom, and love it. I also have a corbin on my K1200GT no peoblem also. I just recieved my smuggler for the Gt it looks great and no problem at all. Also sent my seat back to trim the inseam, no problem got it back in a couple of weeks. I have never had a problem with corbin , the service has always been good. I live in Chicago, so distance was not a problem for corbin either. corbin put a smile on my face.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old Apr 22nd, 2008, 9:40 pm Thread Starter
Enthusiast

Thumbs down

The Corbin rep that used to visit this site had emailed me me a couple of times after I originally posted and said he would take care of my issues - but he didn't.

I gave them a chance to make things right - they said they would but they didn't.

They have no idea how many people ask me about my seat and smuggler, and how many more products they could have sold if they had taken care of their customer.

I am glad that one person here had a good experience - you are one of the lucky few I guess. I would never recommend or buy Corbin - especially now that they have competitiion.

Ed
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old Apr 22nd, 2008, 10:50 pm
JCW
contributor

This is the only way we find out about good and bad products.

Thanks for sharing.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old Jul 11th, 2008, 6:24 pm
Noob

I bought a used Corbin front, back and back rest for my 06 K1200S. Love them all. Installed in 5 minutes and comfortable to ride. Only problem is that I sit taller on the seat and with a 29 inch inseam, I didnt need taller.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode