Baxley or Condor ? - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old Oct 22nd, 2005, 3:56 pm Thread Starter

Post Baxley or Condor ?

Ok,
Who prefers the Baxley, and who prefers the Condor wheel chocks? I'm curious enough, that I will probably use one in the garage and in the trailer if the need arrises. Just not sure how easy they are to back out of when my legs might not have the length needed to push the big K out of one.

'72 Penton Berkshire
'72 Penton Six Day
'78 75th Aniv Sportster (1st owner, sold '89)
'82 Honda cr250r
'04 K12Gt - KIA '09
'08 K12S
Robert Manucy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old Oct 22nd, 2005, 4:16 pm
Throttle Jockey

I have the Baxley Sport Chock and love it. Can't comment on the Condor.

Last edited by rickd; Oct 22nd, 2005 at 6:29 pm.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old Oct 22nd, 2005, 4:37 pm Thread Starter

Thanks Rick,
My local dealer has a few bikes in them on the floor, and I may have to go test one out. I'll admit I've seen more of the Baxley than the Condor.

'72 Penton Berkshire
'72 Penton Six Day
'78 75th Aniv Sportster (1st owner, sold '89)
'82 Honda cr250r
'04 K12Gt - KIA '09
'08 K12S
Robert Manucy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old Oct 22nd, 2005, 6:48 pm
bcg

Robert,

I got a Bike Grab and it works great. I mounted it in my trailer It also can be mounted to a plate and use as a stand in garages and showrooms. It costs also around $190, $100 less than the Baxley and $40 less thqan Condor. check out the following links:

http://www.drivengear.com/prodbg.asp

http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcycle-wheel-chock/

Good luck,
Yuan
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old Oct 22nd, 2005, 8:46 pm
Throttle Jockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcg
It costs also around $190, $100 less than the Baxley and $40 less than Condor.
Baxley is $225 +SH.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old Oct 22nd, 2005, 9:41 pm
Just a user too!

I think either of the three will do the job. The black Baxley is actually $215 and the colors are $225. The Condor is $235. The Bike Grab $190. To me, this is close enough that you should buy what you want.

I looked at the Baxley and Condor at last years Cycle World Show. The Condor demo was much more impressive with guys (from the crowd) pulling on the handle bars trying to tip the bike over....no go! The Baxley would lift off of the ground making you think it was less stable. After learning more about them, I believe it is due to the clamping action of the Baxley and, in retrospect the lifting was not a real problem.

Looking objectively at the two here are my observations:

Condor - Pros - Superior construction. Folds down for storage/transportation. Aluminum and stainless with rubber coated parts that contact the wheel (well the tire actually!). No maintenance.
Cons - Doesn't clamp the tire, but is extemely stable anyway.

Baxley - Pros - Unique design since it clamps the tire as it pivots into place.
Cons - All metal is powder coated paint. I have seen many chipped and rusted. The "fingers" that allow the two pieces to slide together when it clamps the tire need to be lubed periodically. Doesn't fold up for storage/transportation.

I have not used the Bike Grab, but it also looks like it would do a great job. It appears to me that the tire "wedges" itself into the upper V groove that is formed by the painted tube frame (they say it clamps like a vice), so it doesn't have an active clamp like the Baxley. The Condor does a similar thing but into a rubber coated "V". It seems that the paint will eventually wear off. It also appears that it doesn't use the rocking bottom plate like the other two so I wonder if it is as stable since it grabs the bottom, not the rear of the tire.

Good luck!

Randy

2004 K1200RS Alpine White/Orient Blue "Zebra"
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old Oct 22nd, 2005, 9:54 pm
bcg

On the Bike Grab, the 2 flanges holding the front tire are adjustible. There are markings which help you size it to fit different tire sizes. I originally set it to fit the KGT. Once it grabbed the tire, I could not get the bike out by myself and had to loosen the plates. Re-adjusted for a more comfortable fit. Have had no problems.

Sorry about the price on the Baxley but I got the price from their web site.
Yuan
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old Nov 9th, 2005, 4:12 pm

Condor works well for me

The condor chock is rock solid. Once the bike is in, I can barely move it around. Great feature because I don't feel rushed to get the bike strapped down. I also like the thought of not having to compress the shocks. It doesn't have a way to secure the wheel to the chock but you could easily take a strap and lash the two together - I've never felt the need. It does take a good tug to release the tire from the rocking arm cradle and a little bit of momentum to get the bike in and engage the pivoting arm. I have the steel version which is for trailer use only. It is powder-coated and is very durable - no rust yet. The aluminum version has an extra bar that I believe allows it to be a free-standing unit for shop / garage use.

I use our 3 horse gooseneck trailer to haul the bike around. I have the detachable steel plate mounted to the floor so I can unfasten the chock when not in use and put the rubber floor mats back in the trailer with just a little bit of a bump. The plate is probably about 0.5" thick. I had to buy different mounting bolts and drill out recesses so they would be flush with the top of the mounting plate. I also bought some great eyebolts (Bed Bolts) which are removable tie-down attachments. This was necessary for the horse trailer.

Check them out here: http://www.mackieenterprises.com/

I got my Condor off of eBay for about $150.

"If everything's coming your way, you're probably in the wrong lane."
'04 K1200GT / '01 R1200C - Savannah, GA
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old Nov 9th, 2005, 10:30 pm
Addict

I have the full on baxley chocks with the traler kits. The full size ones will fit any bike.

Very pleased with them so far. No experience with the other brand.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old Nov 30th, 2005, 9:27 pm

Check out the wheeldock as an alternative

I've equipped my trailer with a wheeldock (www.wheeldock.com) for my K1200GT and other bikes. In my opinion, it beats all other wheel chocks out there, hands-down and is worth every penny.

Mark

'03 BMW K1200GT (Orient Blue)
'00 BMW R1100SA (Mandarin/Silver)
'56 BMW R50 (for sale)
'74 R90S (Daytona Orange)
'06 Ducati Paul Smart Replica (for sale)
'81 Honda CBX SuperSport

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode