Video Recording Rides - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old Nov 15th, 2006, 2:34 pm Thread Starter

Video Recording Rides

Does anyone have any experience or opinions on any type of recording devices or setups for bikes? I'm looking at different helmet cams and camcorder mounts and am trying to get info on the topic. I'm doing a Great Lakes tour/circle ride around the same time as the National next year and I want to record the trip.

Also, if you have any info on a Great Lakes trip please see my other thread in the Rides forum and post your knowledge. Any help on either topic is greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old Nov 15th, 2006, 3:52 pm
Veteran

I have two Archo's units (link) and have been very satisfied with both (i.e. a AV-420 and a AV-500 unit).

They make a small helmet camera that fits either model. The one I've been using is very much - maybe identical - like their camera head, measures an inch in diameter and 3 inches long. Mine doesn't run off the battery in the Archos, but an external pack. Theirs works off the internal battery. On both my units the battery is a snap in affair and I carry a spare.

It helped to mount a small circular polarizer filter on the front of my camera. Without it, I often blinded the camera in the sun (it recovers quickly though). Colors look better with the filter too.

The AV-500 is a wide-screen version of the more squarish AV-420 (4:3 ratio). I carry all my tunes in the AV-420 and some movies. The AV-500 has a larger hard drive and carries more songs and movies. Personally, even though the older AV-420 is larger I tend to like it more as it has a more rugged case with rubberized corners and I can access the plugs and jacks from the end of the case; the small AV-500 case folds and covers the jacks (minor niggle I know).

I carry the unit(s) in my jacket pockets and often use a suction cup plastic sprinkler pipe contraption that sticks on the top of the helmet while shooting. The thing was made by some parachuter's helmet company (helmetcam.com ??), but I modified it enough to make it a little more adjustable.

So far the units have never skipped on me on either the GT or the RT. On the RT, I carried it in the tank bag. I don't have a tank bag for the GT (I like the looks of it without one) and just carry it in my pocket now.

I do plug it into the AutoCom and it works very well with it. Around camp time, I use it in the tent for watching a movie. Run time on a battery is maybe 2 hours video and 8-10 hours audio. I carry a spare battery almost always but think I only had one battery die since using them.

Fwiw, I must like them....since I own two!

Oh, here's a site with a lot of moto-camera stuff: Link
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old Nov 19th, 2006, 9:21 am
Enthusiast

Any pitures of your unit set up on your bike. I really want to have a set up for next years riding season.

06 K1200 GT deep blue metallic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode