K1200GT Alarm - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old Mar 31st, 2007, 9:37 am Thread Starter
Rookie

Question K1200GT Alarm

Hi Everyone,
I am a new member who just bought his first K1200GT Piedmont Red. It's an '04 with very few miles. What a beautiful bike. I have enjoyed reading many of the posts here during the past few months. I specifically searched this forum for information prior to my purchase. Paid off for me, thanks.
My question centers around putting an alarm system on my bike prior to my first trip. When I bought the bike from the dealer they told me that they sell an OEM version directly from BMW. I said okay, install it. When I went to pick up my bike the dealer told me (actually showed me an article) that they could not install the factory alarm because my bike came with cruise control and was built in June of '04. The article said that only bikes built after September of '04 would work with the BMW OEM alarm. So now I am out looking for an alarm. Has any of you installed an aftermarket alarm? If so, looking for best recommendation. Like all of you, I shutter at the thought of getting my new bike stolen.
Thanks for reading, any help greatly appreciated.
2ndChance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old Mar 31st, 2007, 10:10 am
Veteran

My dealer suggested the BMW alarm. Looking it over, I wasn't impressed as it doesn't have the ability to inform you that something has happened to the bike.

The Scorpio alarm is a better unit as it has two-way communication. I put a couple of those LED circle things from local Cycle Gear shop beneath the front seat pointing to the sides instead of messing with the Can-Bus system on the '06 GT. They are bright and get ones attention better than the flashing of the brake lights.

Nice thing is that the Scorpio also has a proximity sensor so if someone should get within your preselected range, the unit will beep a warning and if they persist, it will go full alrm and also inform you via the remote (which either will beep or vibrate which works well should you place it on a motel nightstand).

Has a knock-over sensor as well as a bump sensor. Records the time of the incident too. You can also set it for silent and it will inform you as to incidents like when your dealer really began working on your bike (sneaky!).

Just a better alarm and about the same cost as a BMW alarm. Got mine form the manufacturer in Arizona. Good support from them as well.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old Mar 31st, 2007, 3:59 pm Thread Starter
Rookie

GMack,
Thanks for the reply. I was tossing the Scorpio SR-i500 and the Gorilla alarm around. Think I'll get a Scorpio alarm.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old Mar 31st, 2007, 4:01 pm Thread Starter
Rookie

GMack,
Does the bike have cruise control and did it interfere with it's operation?
Thanks,
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old Mar 31st, 2007, 10:17 pm
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2ndChance
GMack,
Does the bike have cruise control and did it interfere with it's operation?
Thanks,
No interference at all with anything. Was out today on it and set the alarm a couple of times while I was away from the bike.

I kept it away from the Can-Bus system as best I could. I dropped the power wires down to the always hot Powerlet socket I installed to get rid of the power sockets BMW supplied that keep shutting off with the heated clothing (Dealer said that was the dumbest thing they did to the bike. I agree). The orange wire on the Scorpio goes to a switched lead like the one in the GPS harness in the front of the battery box. I took mine off the power lead to the Autocom (power to my Autocom is through their #158 switched power box for Can-Bus bikes. I tied it in there). There are two gray wires out of the control box that are supposed to go to the turn signals. I opted to use those LED lights from Cycle Gear. They come in different colors. I used the white ones as that's all they had. One gray wire to each and then out of them the other wire goes to ground. Mine are attached to the sides beneath the front seat. Not too obvious until they flash.

I put the control box (little larger than a pack of smokes and waterproof) in the side cover near where the saddlebags attach. Held in with Velcro. You could mount it flat by using that strap under the rear passenger seat too, just the wires would be in the way when you remove the seat.

I stuck the proximity sensor on top of the oil box with their supplied Velcro. It detects best from the sides and back, not so much from the front in that position. Maybe under the tank would be better, but I didn't want to go through that much trouble. I had to turn the sensitivity down as people getting into their cars when next to the bike would set it off. I set it to maybe 2 feet or so.

There is a small water drain hole in the very back of the black pan that hold the seat latch mechanism (near tailight). You can find it if you shine a flashlight up from the wheel to see it from the top. I poked the antenna wire from the alarm down through that hole and then back between the two sections of the license plate fender. They say to keep the antenna way from metal and as vertical as possible. That location seemed to be the best I could come up with.

Only thing I keep forgetting is to turn the damn thing off when I get back. It's loud! The vibration in the pocket will also tell you something is wrong. I need quicker access to it when I do those dumb things.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old Apr 7th, 2007, 8:44 am Thread Starter
Rookie

Smile

Thank you, extremely helpful information. I think that I can install one myself after reading what you did. Great job.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old Apr 7th, 2007, 10:47 am
Enthusiast

But nobody will want to steal the red ones. Only the blue ones are attractive to others

'03 K1200GT

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode