Slick little video camera - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old Mar 31st, 2007, 10:44 pm Thread Starter
Veteran

Slick little video camera

Saw one of these Oregon Scientific video cameras on their website. About $130 or so. Outputs video (and/or audio) onto a SD card (SD, not SDHC). I used a 2 gig cSD card and highest resolution mode it runs for about 1 hour and outputs the file as a AVI file. They have all the specs on their website.

All self contained and they supply everything but the 2 gig SD card and the 2 AA batteries. I used their handlebar mount and attached it to the mirror stalk on the GT (thinnest section near the mirror). Worked pretty darn well and the GT's mirrors are pretty stable too which helped.

You might need to hog a bit of the hole the locking bolt passes through the handlebar mount as it is pretty well spread apart there. A little longer 5mm bolt (maybe a 45mm or longer) would be better choice too. I got the supplied one to fit, just takes another pair of hands to squeeze the clamp to get the wing nut on.

The thing is small and isn't that noticeable. Mount is fully adjustable and they even supply a helmet strap and mount if you want it attached to your helmet. It slides into the handlebar clamp and clicks to lock. You can take it off just as fast and leave the clamp on the mirror.

Waterproof due to a couple of O-rings in the back for the screw-on cap. They toss in some silicon grease too.

Didn't get any bug splatter on the lens area where it was mounted. Bug splatter was mostly on the back? But then that also happens on my windshield too?? Very odd how they splat on the backside.

Here's a link to their site: ActionTek camera.

I ordered mine from these guys: Mountains Plus Outdoor Gear as it was $5 cheaper and free shipping. Took about a week to get it.

I'd post a video, but I'm on dial-up and the AVI movie file I did today is around 1.9 megs. It would take me a month! They have a sample on their site (looks worse than mine!. Color seemed pretty good. I used a level on the top and eye-balled the rectangular front window as being level.

I took photos of it but never seem to get the things posted on here (I give up trying to do it...failed again).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old Apr 1st, 2007, 8:58 pm
Let's Ride

Do you have a picture of how you mounted the camera? Sure wish you could send a sample video. Thanks sharing.

2006 K1200GT
2009 G450X
2004 KTM525 SX
199? Dune Buggie
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old Apr 2nd, 2007, 1:48 am Thread Starter
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT-1
Do you have a picture of how you mounted the camera? Sure wish you could send a sample video. Thanks sharing.
Never have mastered photos on this site. Tried a few times and gave up. Tried to do these too but just cannot get the hang of uploading, then locating and getting the format right.

Can't do a video due to dial-up constraint. It'd take a month (literally) to do a 2 gig upload on this network. Just imagine it being mounted to the smallest diameter of the GT's mirror stalk. No windshield in the way. It's about the size of two D-cell flashlight batteries. No wires. All self contained.

It does have the ability to switch from 30fps to 15fps. Must make it look like you're really going fast! Haven't tried all the settings yet.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old Apr 2nd, 2007, 9:39 pm
Let's Ride

Thanks, this may be what I was looking for in a camera.

2006 K1200GT
2009 G450X
2004 KTM525 SX
199? Dune Buggie
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old Apr 2nd, 2007, 10:30 pm Thread Starter
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT-1
Thanks, this may be what I was looking for in a camera.
I must say, the rig I mentioned above looks far sharper than the YouTube video. Of course, he was shooting through the windshield of the bag.

Too bad he cut it off so soon. I would have liked to hear more of the dialog between the trooper and the guy on the silver GT.

I don't know why the camera guy pulled in. I'd kept on going looking like "I wasn't with them. I know nothing. They passed me. One was brandishing a gun. Yadda. Yadda." Especially since his radar detector went off before he got into the picture of the Leo at the long turn. He should have been on the brakes then.

Remember, "If you don't see the rabbit, you are the rabbit." He had two.

(I knew those silver GT's were the fastest color!)
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old Apr 2nd, 2007, 11:50 pm
Let's Ride

GMack, I also wish the GS behind me would have left the video on a little longer. The trooper gave us a lecture about "not wanting to have to call our family's to come pick up our bodies..." He gave the three of us warnings. I think he just wanted us to spread the word about not speeding in Arkansas. Turns out that someone crashed and died on that same stretch of road the weekend before we were there (Hwy 341). In a couple of weeks four us are going on a trip to the four corners (Nevada, Colorado, Arizona and Utah). So I'm seriously thinking about your camera set up. I'm not a electronic wizard so I like your no wire set up, I also didn't want some large camera shaking about. Two of the guys will be on new GSA's and one on a GS (two were with me in Arkansas). These guys are really into farkles, and all experience riders, so I would like to catch some of the ride on video. Your right about which color of the GT2 is fastest. I have 18,000 miles on my 06 GT and every mile is more enjoyable than the last..."what a bike".

2006 K1200GT
2009 G450X
2004 KTM525 SX
199? Dune Buggie

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode