Fusebox Relay trigger feed - best place? - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old May 17th, 2007, 5:15 am Thread Starter

Fusebox Relay trigger feed - best place?

First of all, hello everyone I'm new here but have been reading your forums for awhile. I'm especially interested in CANBus relay trigger hookups because that's part of my business.

I read with great interest a thread here about the special accessory socket up front. I had a customer say that the smaller wire was for GPS hookup, some kind of speed data feed, and so not a good place to get relay switching power. But I have not read any real confirmation about that here.

And the other hot wire turns off 30 seconds after the bike is shut off. Which means it is a good source for some accessories, although maybe not Aux. Lights which do not have their own switch.

I would like to know where one can safely hookup a relay coil feed on these bikes. Where did you hookup your feed?

Now that special accessory socket up front that requires the expensive special order plug for it - I was thinking that would be an excellent place to change to a water proof 3 pole connector like I sell. These connectors are common on Suzukis. They are small, waterproof and will accept up to 16AWG wire. They are easy to crimp or solder wires into their pins and generally are much cheaper than the BMW special socket. Perhaps this would be a good solution for those who can't find the factory plug and want a connector that comes without leads so they can add their own wires into it.

No idea why BMW would choose such an exotic connector there really.

I'm also interested in anyone who has added a Stebel or other high powered horn to their bike, and whether the CANBus was disturbed by using the stock horn wires to trigger a new relay rather than the stock horn.

That's it for now, but I'm sure I'll have lots of other questions for y'all.

By the way, I have links to k-bike.com all over my site referring CANBus owners to this website as I think it's a great resource. I just thought it's time I signed in here and contributed some myself.

Thank you for any help you can give me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old May 17th, 2007, 11:13 am
Addict-oholic

Jim, a lot of riders hook up their fuse boxes to the parking light feed as it is directly switched off/on by the ignition switch. This circuit is easy to find.

The Stebel horn relay can be hooked directly to the stock horn input and the stock horn left in place.

There is a lot of information on this site in relation to the Canbus system.

Welcome to this site. I and others have purchased from you..

Larry
Deep Blue 2009 K1300GT
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old May 17th, 2007, 11:32 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrykay
Jim, a lot of riders hook up their fuse boxes to the parking light feed as it is directly switched off/on by the ignition switch. This circuit is easy to find.

The Stebel horn relay can be hooked directly to the stock horn input and the stock horn left in place.

There is a lot of information on this site in relation to the Canbus system.

Welcome to this site. I and others have purchased from you..
Ok, thanks. How do people hook up a horn relay to the stock horn leads while leading the stock horn in place? Do they use a push-on double connector? I know Posi-Taps could be used but normally on my Horn Kits I provide male spades to plug into the stock horn leads. I don't think many people want to retain the stock horn since they likely will need to mount the new horn(s) in it's place and it won't be heard in any case.

However, maybe leaving the stock horn keeps the CANBus happy?

What I really want to know is if the CANBus even cares about the horn. Running a relay where there once was a horn would obviously be a big difference in the current draw.

While I"m here, are CANBus horns basically normal horns with two pushon terminals?

I'm trying to make CANBus specific Kits for all my Kits and need to know anything I should include with a Kit or what's different.

I have sold several Horn Kits to CANBus bikers and haven't heard anything back from them so I assume the Kits worked fine.

Ok, one more question for now - do CANBus bikes have wimpy horns? Do many people add a louder horn?

Any photos out there showing how and where to access the parking light wire? As you know I like to show customers photos and info to help them do things, not like some other websites with a just small photo of the product...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode