BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

Do I need a test ride?

1K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  SKIZIKS 
#1 ·
I'm pretty sure that I'd like an '07 GT (see prior posts) but before I've bought a bike before I'd always had a test ride. I'm wondering whether I should do that in this case or just go ahead and order the bike?

I'm not going to be able to ride until March at the earliest anyway (due to our weather).

My concerns about purchasing before riding (which would be april or may) are:

1) Will there be any difference between a bike ordered now versus one a couple of months from now? Features / Software versions / recalls?

2) Will there be better financing available in April than in Jan-Mar. (I've been told that BMW updates financing every quarter)?

3) The longer I wait the more I find out about things that I'd like which I'd probably want the dealer to install "at a deal". For example, PIA driving lights on the front forks, additional LEDS on the rear etc. With the CANBUS system I'd prefer to get the dealer to do this stuff.

Thanks for your comments:
Don Martin

See less See more
#2 ·
BCDon said:
I'm pretty sure that I'd like an '07 GT (see prior posts) but before I've bought a bike before I'd always had a test ride. I'm wondering whether I should do that in this case or just go ahead and order the bike?

I'm not going to be able to ride until March at the earliest anyway (due to our weather).

My concerns about purchasing before riding (which would be april or may) are:

1) Will there be any difference between a bike ordered now versus one a couple of months from now? Features / Software versions / recalls?

2) Will there be better financing available in April than in Jan-Mar. (I've been told that BMW updates financing every quarter)?

3) The longer I wait the more I find out about things that I'd like which I'd probably want the dealer to install "at a deal". For example, PIA driving lights on the front forks, additional LEDS on the rear etc. With the CANBUS system I'd prefer to get the dealer to do this stuff.

Thanks for your comments:
Don Martin
Some dealers offer rides. Some don't. I've always ended up buying from those who did.
Don't know why, but every test ride I always wonder "What the hell am I doing?" Pertains to cars and bikes. Shopper's remorse I guess.

The only thing coming along now is the Traction Control around April or so. Dealer didn't know pricing as yet.

There may be better financing on other models, but the GT hasn't been one of them yet. Sales have been pretty good on the model so far so I doubt if you will get a deal, unless it is an older model.

I'm with you on the accessories additions. The Can-Bus wasn't something I wanted to mess with nor digging through the wiring mess. The dealer added the Auto-Com #158 Can-Bus Switch for Auto-Com Super Pro AVI unit to the BMW Can-Bus that reduces noise and ground loops. Had I done it, I'd never would have installed that one as Auto-Com doesn't show all the wiring possibilities on their site.

Something else to ponder: If the dealer does the installation and you later get the bike serviced somewhere else, then that dealer may need to honor the other dealer's installation in regards to per hour shop rates. One in the Bay area charges around $15 per hour more for adds that the owner does. Granted, $100 per hour looks better than $115 hour since the dealer needs to "Figure out what you've done to the bike."
Plus, should the bike get wrecked, the adjuster cannot say "You could have done that when you installed it." damhik!

I'd also get them to stick to their quoted installation price. Mine was quoted at $200-300 but ballooned to nearly $1000 when I picked it up - and it still wasn't done right as I discovered down the road! Check it all out before leaving.

Good luck.

#3 ·
Thanks GMack.

I'll get a final number (including installation) before I sign the deal. There is only 1 authorized BMW "dealer" in town so it is unlikely I'll get warranty wrenching done locally at any other place. And, I understand they already charge a 15% to 20% premimum on hourly labour to do BMW work. Such is life, either I accept it or get something else.

And, if the bike is selling well then BMW won't be offering incentives the next go around.

I'll keep checking stuff out for a month or so and see then I suppose.

#4 ·
my suggestion

Yes by all means take a demo ride....for a long time (mine was almost an hour)...

I told the dealer I didn't have the money right now....(one dealer ...lots of talk but no demo offer...other dealer....want to ride it first, then we can talk...bought it from this one).

Probably dealer inventory will be three months past production versions so unless you know of a feature that you wouldn't buy the bike without the feature buy from inventory. My '07 was delivered in late November. I would like to have the HID, tire sensors, etc. but there will be something down the road it seems as compared to the Kaw Connie that hasn't changed in ten or more years (new one is out...finally). If you wait for this and wait for that you'll never enjoy the bike for what it is....GREAT...

#6 ·
Joe,

Hadn't you test ridden both models before you bought?

#7 ·
eljeffe said:
Joe,

Hadn't you test ridden both models before you bought?
Nope. I test rode an RS in '02, but the wifey wasn't thrilled with the looks of that bike on the net. I showed her the LT, and that's all she wrote. ;)

In '05/'06, I test rode the 'S' on 3 separate occasions. It just didn't "do it" for me. When BMW released the GT, I got a little excited. Finally what got to me was the thought of selling the LT and the Ninja, and just having one bike that met all of my riding wants/needs. The GT has done all that and more, as I'm sure you well aware.

#8 ·
Don,

I did as you are doing now. Homework first, then purchase. I was happy with the deal I eventually struck.

I did buy mine without a test drive with the explicit understanding I would test drive MY bike when it arrived and make a final decision once satisfied it was for me. Was it for me???

Ha, as they say the rest is history. No regrets.

Good luck.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.